[wplug-board] Are we doing anything for Software Freedom Day? (Possibly just a theoretical question....)

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Aug 6 02:45:15 EDT 2014

Pat has some very excellent points.  We want to get out where
people will already be gathered.  One year, we were on the
sidewalk near Hillman Library in Oakland.  If students will be
back by the 20th, that's a possibility.

I wasn't present for the event in the Strip District, but that
sounded well-trafficed also.

The mall idea has advantages of being indoors and getting a
sizable crowd (depending on the mall), though they won't
necessarily be particularly receptive.

Is there some other community festival or event where we could get
a table?  At least people there would anticipate seeing and trying
new things.  Especially something like a hamfest would attract
tinkerers.

As I mentioned before, we'd basically be on our own to come up
with decorations, signs, giveaways, etc.  SFD may provide some
downloadable artwork and software, but no physical assets.
Justin's idea of giving away computers could be a neat gimmick,
but we want to make sure users will have a good experience with
them.