[wplug-board] October Board of Directors meeting

Joseph Prostko joe.prostko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 09:19:45 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Justin Smith <justin at adminix.net> wrote:
> The next meeting of the WPLUG Board of Directors will take place this
> Tuesday, October 15th. Based on past precedent, I presume it will take place
> over IRC. What time should we start? Would it help if we met late again?

Yes, as Pat said, I think phone will work best.  I'm not opposed to
using IRC though.  I say 8:30 PM would work for me, that way maybe we
can be done by 9:30 even if we get off topic.  (Yes, Pat, I read your
email about that topic!)

> There isn't much new business to discuss. I suppose Joe could talk about the
> O'Reilly User Group program if he has a chance to work on it between now and
> then. We could try to work out the logistics for who would be responsible
> for managing the WPLUG library. Maybe we could plan a "meet the candidates"
> IRC session.

I shot an email out to them, and will see what I hear back.  I suspect
they'll get back to me today before the board meeting.  Justin, if you
happen to get an email from them, that's because I mentioned the
secretary at wplug.org email address in my mail.  I had signed us up with
that account, so that it wouldn't be tied to any one person in the
long term.

> Other than that, there are the usual outstanding problems:

> -Switching up the schedule so we have more variety

Indeed.  I think we need a social event.  Drupal Pittsburgh is doing a
social event in December, although I don't know if we'd like to piggy
back on that.  Well, that, and I think that we should maybe do a
social thing for our next meeting.  I have the Drupal event listed on
our site right now.  Please tell me if I'm going a bit over-the-top
with Drupal-related content there.  I was thinking I should probably
at least mention the Wordpress meetup as well...especially seeing as
we're using it to do our new site.  The only reason Drupal is listed
is since that is my day job nowadays.  :)

> -Status of online payment forms

I should probably work with Pat to get that done.  It's a bit tricky
for me though, as I don't have the proper server access to work on
that, I believe.  I'd try to look now, but I don't feel like pulling
out my laptop, and outbound port 22 access is blocked.  But yeah, if
there is a webdev group or something I could be added to, that would
help.  (For reference, at MSA we have a webadmin group that can rwx
web server files (like Apache's conf files or executable), and a
webdev group that can rwx in the document root (like html and php
files).  I can give you the full breakdown of all groups and all
ranges of permissions, but in the interest of not boring anybody, I'll
just stop now.  :)

> -The Web site redesign

Indeed, we need to get that done.  Like Pat mentioned at our last
meeting, we kind of just have to list out who's doing what, and make
it happen.  Well, I'm sure he stated it much better, but you get the
idea.

> Speaking of the Web site...at yesterday's meeting, I showed off the "dummy
> site" I put together on WPLUG's instance of WordPress. When the conversation
> turned to which theme we were eventually going to use, I couldn't remember
> when actually voted to approve the money for doing so.

I remember you showed it to us at Panera (likely in April?), but I
don't think we approved it until a future meeting.  For some reason I
seem to recall it being one of our conference calls.

> Well, try as I might, I couldn't find anything in the past several months'
> board minutes where we voted to buy the LesPaul WordPress theme. Could it be
> that we talked about it in CRW but never formally approved it?

Perhaps we never did approve it?  Maybe we basically all said we liked
it, but didn't commit to anything?  I'm pretty sure there was a motion
and a second that happened though in favor of purchasing the theme.

- joe