[wplug-board] [wplug] DLNA transcoding

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Fri Jun 28 10:54:03 EDT 2013

I’m not sure whether I’m misunderstanding what you said or you’re
misunderstanding what I said, but I don’t think we’re on the same page
here.

I currently use MiniDLNA to serve up files over UPnP/DLNA to my Raspberry
Pi. If my Pi doesn’t support a video’s format, I have to manually re-encode
it into a compatible format, which takes time and wastes disk space with
multiple versions of the same file.

I know that certain DLNA servers like PS3MediaServer support transcoding
on the fly so that X file fomat gets streamed as Y file format instead. No
new files are generated, and you can keep the original files in their original
condition. That’s what I’m looking for.

What I /don’t/ know is if any of these DLNA servers support transcoding on-
the-fly for video profiles as opposed to file formats. Converting video files
from format foo to H264 is a common use case, but converting from one
type of H264 to another seems to be far less common. The documentation
is confusing.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://www.wplug.org