[wplug-board] Now mining Litecoin

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Fri Jun 21 21:37:48 EDT 2013

CPUminer is up and running on Linode! I re-read the thread I linked to
earlier and discovered that you don't have to build it from source after all -
which is good, because yum was looking for the kernel-headers package
and /etc/yum.conf says to keep kernel packages commented out since
Linode updates them automatically.

Since solo mining doesn't make much sense, I signed us up for an account
on Litepool.eu and stored the credentials in the usual place. Most of the
time, mining pools only pay out when they make money. Litepool is one of
the rare few that pay for work done regardless, so you're always making
money.

Linode gives us 8 virtual CPUs. Since its terms of service forbid "excessive
usage," I set CPUminer to run on 4 threads rather than 8. The total
production rate is equal to what I can pull with my little home server, 12
KHash/sec. That's barely anything, but it's better than nothing. If anybody
feels like lending us a hand, we can sign up additional people under our
account.

I'm going to leave CPUminer running for a little while and see where it gets
us. If you want to play around with it, the binary is in my folder. Run it with
the command in the credentials file.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://www.wplug.org