[wplug-board] Possible group outing, possible future GUM presentation

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Thu Jan 24 01:59:07 EST 2013

On 1/23/2013 10:46 PM, Justin Smith wrote:
> I don't care for baseball or the Pirates, myself, but if it's
> something the members would be interested in, I'm all for it.

It's so cheap, I may do it (out of my own pocket, if necessary),
regardless of whether there's active member interest expressed in
advance - as long as the Board or the program committee approve putting
WPLUG's name on the event.  I mean, in the end, it may cost $20.00, as
long as the tickets are surcharge-free if picked up in person (which I
can do).  I think 12 tickets would be sufficient, and in fact I'm not
sure you can buy more tickets than that in a block from the retail web
site.  (You're probably not alone among our membership in not caring for
baseball or the Pirates, so I'm not thinking the small number of tickets
is a bottleneck.)

> /If/ we do this, I'd like to work this into our advertising like I
> tried to do for January's GUM. We could say something like "How much
> do baseball tickets and stadium food usually cost? Join WPLUG and get
> free tickets to the game, free food, /and/ a membership in the hottest
> Linux user group in Pittsburgh!"

Sure (just keeping in mind the food wouldn't be on WPLUG, but $1.00 for
a hot dog ... can't beat that).

> If we're ever going to get more paying members, we need to run
> promotions like this from time to time.

Totally agree.

> In regard to the presentation...like Joe said, we need a presenter for
> February, so feel free to proceed. Say, do you know anything about
> OpenVPN, Pat? Since certificates are a part of it, maybe you could
> include that as part of your presentation. Lots of people use free
> public Wi-Fi; you could make it about how to protect against
> eavesdropping while you're doing it with OpenVPN on Linux /and/ Android.

I know just a little about OpenVPN, per se - but I certainly know about
VPN infrastructures in general.  I would be concerned that "Private CA +
OpenVPN" is starting to get into a fairly lengthy presentation (in order
to do justice to the presentation of either of them individually), it
might be smart to break that material over two GUMs.  For a group like
WPLUG, I'd kind of prefer to keep "sit and listen to me" presentations
to about 30 minutes or so if possible, unless there's a demo involved or
something.

--Pat.