[wplug-board] Possible group outing, possible future GUM presentation

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Wed Jan 23 22:46:19 EST 2013

I don't care for baseball or the Pirates, myself, but if it's something
the members would be interested in, I'm all for it.

/If/ we do this, I'd like to work this into our advertising like I tried
to do for January's GUM. We could say something like "How much do
baseball tickets and stadium food usually cost? Join WPLUG and get free
tickets to the game, free food, /and/ a membership in the hottest Linux
user group in Pittsburgh!"

If we're ever going to get more paying members, we need to run
promotions like this from time to time.

In regard to the presentation...like Joe said, we need a presenter for
February, so feel free to proceed. Say, do you know anything about
OpenVPN, Pat? Since certificates are a part of it, maybe you could
include that as part of your presentation. Lots of people use free
public Wi-Fi; you could make it about how to protect against
eavesdropping while you're doing it with OpenVPN on Linux /and/ Android.

(Disclaimer: this is something I've tried and failed to set up on my
home server.)

*Justin S. Smith*
WPLUG vice chair/secretary
http://www.js-wordsmith.com