[wplug-board] Possible group outing, possible future GUM presentation

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Jan 23 11:35:58 EST 2013

Two quick things:

1)  Not sure how relevant this is to open source, but as sort of a
social outing as we've been discussing recently ... I noticed that
Wednesday, April 4th is "Buc Night" at PNC Park.  There are a block of
grandstand tickets available for $1.00 each, and $1.00 hot dogs and
popcorn at concession stands.  At this price, we could easily buy two
tickets for every member of the organization, and it would cost very
little (n.b. - assuming the tickets could be picked up in person at PNC
Park will-call window without surcharge, and they don't add like $3.00
in fees on top of each $1.00 ticket...).  Not sure how many members
would be interested in such a thing, but it could be a fun social
outing.  Unfortunately, it wouldn't be the sort of thing where we could
get our group name on the scoreboard or anything - for that, you need to
go through their group sales team, and pay full price, and we wouldn't
be able to afford that.  But at least *we* would know that WPLUG is
there, even if no one else does... ;-)

2)  I'm thinking of putting together a presentation on "Build Your Own
X.509 Certificate Authority Using xca".  One of the random ideas we
occasionally float is the idea of providing a CA for members of the
organization, and this is probably the best tool to use to do that.  Not
sure how much our attendees would be interested in hearing about PKI
infrastructure and making their own private CA, but I'd certainly be
willing to put that together if we want to do it.

--Pat.