[wplug-board] December event

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Dec 8 21:57:52 EST 2013

On Sat, Dec 07, 2013 at 11:52:14AM -0500, Justin Smith wrote:
> Stanley and I also agreed that the program for our Holiday Party should be
> settled this weekend. We need to give people enough advance notice so
> that they can make plans to attend.

I apologize for dropping the ball.  I was slammed at work after
our call and should have handed this task off to someone else.

Belatedly, today I called the venues we discussed.

Games N'At is not available on Tuesdays; however, we would be able
to go there on Thursday, December 19.  No reservation is necessary
and they indicated that there should be no serious competition for
space.  The positives of this venue are that it is located on the
South Side, is relatively inexpensive ($10/person flat rate, though
some games are extra), and has an interesting variety of games.
The cons are that they have a limited menu (pizza only, maybe?) and
that if bowling is the goal, they only have four duckpin lanes.

Princess Lanes is available on our original date of Tuesday,
December 17.  They do have league bowling that night, but said we
should have no problem getting 2 or 3 lanes if we call ahead.
Pros include a fuller restaurant menu and bowling being the focus
(if that's what you're interested in).  Cons are that it is not
really accessible by public transportation (Caste Village shopping
center in Whitehall) and cost of $4/person/game plus shoe rental
if needed.

My personal view is that Games N'At would be more interesting to
our crowd.  The major downside as I see it is that arcade- and
carnival-style games are not generally focused on group
participation, which may tend to defeat the social aspect.

So unless someone speaks up in the next 48 hours, I propose
setting the event for Thursday the 19th at Games N'At from 7:00pm
to 9:00pm (or whenever).