[wplug-board] Project planning tools

Joseph Prostko joe.prostko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 10:11:48 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Justin Smith <justin at js-wordsmith.com> wrote:
> What about something with a Web interface? That way, we'd only have to
> install it once, and people could access it from any computer and any
> platform.

I agree that this could be more convenient, although I don't really
have an issue with us using a dedicated solution such as TaskJuggler.

> During my ill-fated stint as a grant writer, I used Collabtive to keep track
> of my work. It isn't as convoluted as a lot of the management software I've
> seen, but it's still flexible enough that I think it might fit our
> circumstances. You can define milestones and tasks, there's a convenient
> calendar view of upcoming deadlines, and comments & file uploads are both
> supported.

I used Collabtive briefly about a year ago when I was trying to find
some web-based software to help me with a collaborative freelance
project.  We ended up not using it though, and I think I just ended up
using GTD-PHP <http://gtd-php.com/> on my end of things to keep me on
track and motivated.

Like I had mentioned previously, I have used Open Atrium
<http://openatrium.com/>, although I don't know how well it would fit
our needs.  Open Atrium 2.0 seems nice, but thus far I have only used
v1.x of the project.  I mainly use if for ticketing purposes at work,
although obviously it is much more capable than that.  There is an
hour long webinar video on their site about version 2.0 of the project
that I intend to check out, so after that and installing it for my
workplace, I'll provide better feedback as to whether it makes sense
or not.

- joe