[wplug-board] Web site redesign

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Tue Aug 6 19:35:08 EDT 2013

Guys, I know it's disappointing that we haven't been able to find more
support for redesigning WPLUG.org, but the clock is ticking. I have a feeling
that if we don't start /something/ soon, this project will fall by the wayside
and we'll wind up in this same position months from now.

I think we should at least purchase a theme and set up WordPress on a
subdomain so we have something to hack on in our spare time. Well, I'm
guessing it'd be /my/ spare time since I'm the only one of us who doesn't
have a job at the moment, but I don't mind. It needs to be done.

If you recall, we had previously discussed purchasing the LesPaul[1] theme
from Themeforest at a cost of $45. The rationale behind choosing LesPaul
was its visual appeal and documentation.

I spent some time looking through ThemeForest this afternoon just to
make sure we weren't missing anything, and I came across something that
I feel may be better suited to our circumstances: a new theme called
Enfold[2]. It's the second most popular theme on ThemeForest right now,
and it isn't difficult to see why; you get a /lot/ for your money. A live demo of
the theme is available here[3].

Besides the visual appeal, which I think is at least on par with LesPaul,
Enfold has a lot going for it behind the scenes. It includes page creator
that is 100% drag 'n drop. If you can drag a series of onscreen widgets
into a big box, you can build a page with Enfold.

And if you want to see what it's like, Enfold includes a series of narrated,
HD videos[4] that go over almost every aspect of the theme, from setting it
up to upgrading it and using the page creator. That's in addition to
documentation.

To make matters easier, Enfold includes a form creator that is supported
by producer. We could use it to set up an online membership form quickly
and without installing and learning a separate software package.

Other than that, a lot of the same stuff as LesPaul applies. Technical
support (via a forum) and upgrades are free; it will scale down the
interface elements for mobile devices; page templates like FAQ and “About
Us” are included.

Don't let me rush you on this, but as head of the Marketing &
Communication Committee, I think we need to at least take a first step in
overhauling WPLUG.org.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://themeforest.net/item/lespaul-retina-responsive-wordpress-theme/4083224?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author