[wplug-board] Fedora media

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Sep 5 10:58:48 EDT 2012

As discussed at yesterday's board meeting...

I found the following information about getting free/promo media from
the Fedora Project:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia

The relevant excerpts from this page (for us) are:

  * /"If you're a Fedora Ambassador or Fedora Contributor, you will not
    receive any DVD via this program. Freemedia does not provide disks
    for events."/
  * /"Media is produced by volunteers, we don't ship media with
    commercial grade labels or printing."/

So, basically, they don't provide media for the kind of uses we're
looking for (they are targetting getting free media to individuals, not
groups), and since the free media program only provides volunteer-burned
(not professionally produced) media, what they would provide would be no
better than what we could produce ourselves anyway.

For professionally produced media, the Fedora Project redirects people
to media resellers (much like Debian does).  The least expensive price I
saw was at os-disc.com, which charges $5.00/each for Fedora 17 full
install DVDs.

Per their wiki page
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/SponsoredMedia), the old
"Sponsored Media" program is currently dead.

--Pat.