[wplug-board] Grant Money

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Thu Mar 29 12:41:54 EDT 2012

Also, regarding the concept of organizing classes.

First, if this is what we want to submit in a Sprout Fund proposal (I
say "a" proposal, since I guess it's conceivable that we could do more
than one proposal...), what would we need money for?  Maybe to pay
professional instructors or something?  Or buy/rent computers that would
be used for the classes?  Sprout Fund only funds things that need money
to happen.  If we're just going to look for volunteer instructors out of
our membership, and it's not going to actually cost us any money to put
on the classes, then they're not going to give us any money.  And if
they did give us money, then the money could *only* be used for that
purpose.

Second, I've been looking at the bylaws, and if we decide to start
offering classes, I am wondering if we need to put that up to a vote by
the membership to get authorization to do so.  In particular, looking at
section 4.2 of the bylaws:

        *4.2 Duties and Powers*

        The Board of Directors shall have full power and authority over
        the affairs of WPLUG except those reserved to others by these
        bylaws and by acts of the membership. Only the membership shall
        have the power to:

         1. amend these bylaws;
         2. adopt special rules of order for the membership;
         3. authorize the establishment of a new program under the
            auspices of WPLUG;
         4. authorize the expenditure of WPLUG funds on items that do
            not directly support existing programs; or
         5. impose final disciplinary action upon a Member.

        The Board shall be subject to the orders of the membership, and
        none of its acts shall conflict with action taken by the
        membership.

So I am wondering if we will bump into clause #3 and/or clause #4
above.  I'm not saying yes we do, or no we don't - but I'd like to get a
sense from the rest of the directors as to what they think.

--Pat.