[wplug-board] === Draft to Brian Secklecki ===

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Sat Jun 30 19:51:52 EDT 2012

On 6/30/2012 7:34 PM, Michael Loomis wrote:
> I would like the waiver form better if it were fitted on a single page.

When I drafted the proposed liability release for installfests (that we
didn't decide to use last time, pending further review), I also wanted
it to fit on one page.  The only way I could do it was to reduce the
font size to something like 7 point.  :-(

> For instance, putting "No one under the age of 18 shall be permitted
> to operate power tools, work on ladders or rooftops, or work on
> high­voltage
> (greater than 50 volts) wiring, whether energized or not." could be
> eliminated. I suspect it could cause us more legal problems than
> protect us anyway.

I think in our case, it could be eliminated principally because no one
under age 18 is likely to be working on the project.  What additional
legal exposure to you see from including this clause? We're told (by a
member of the prior board) that this release was modeled after ones used
by other non-profits for similar projects (principally one used by
Habitat for Humanity).  I can't say for sure why they would have
included this clause ("I Am Not A Lawyer" and all...), but I would
suspect it's because the laws of some states (including PA, I believe)
don't permit minors to do this type of work.

> I can even try to rewrite it, if it wouldn't be an intrusion.

I'd be interested to see what you have in mind - it might be easier (for
you) to do an overview of how you think it should be changed, before you
go to the trouble of doing a rewrite (unless, of course, the full
rewrite is not that much more work).

--Pat.