[wplug-board] Software Freedom Day

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Aug 15 17:09:31 EDT 2012

I keep meaning to call Monroeville Mall to see if we can use a kiosk
there - though in that environment, I doubt we'd be able to do any
actual installs (it's not like people are going to bring their gear into
the mall....), it'd be more of a PR / awareness thing, being able to
give away distros so people can tinker with them, show them "Big Buck
Bunny" and such (or other things that were made using Linux that we can
trot out), etc.  I haven't gotten a chance during the work day so far
this week, unfortunately.  I'm still sort of at a loss for what other
venues we might chase after that would have a good amount of "random
traffic", people who would not otherwise be aware of free software.
Plus also, the mall (like many other larger venues we might pursue that
would have a lot of people, I'm sure...) would not have network access
for us - so people wouldn't really be able to do installs on-site unless
they were satisfied with whatever comes off of our distribution media
and did their updates at home (unless someone wanted to bring a MiFi -
but I don't know who'd volunteer to pay for the data usage that would
incur).

Not trying to be discouraging of the idea of a "mini-installfest" or
anything - I just think that a lot of the value of our Software Freedom
Day activity (whatever it turns out to be) is going to be in catching
the interest of people who aren't familiar with FOSS at all (which is
why I think it's helpful to do it in a place where people are already
gathered for some other reason, like shopping - so Pittsburgh Public
Market is good on that score, too), so the people we talk to aren't
going to have their equipment and such with them - they won't have been
expecting to come across our Software Freedom Day activity, but
hopefully it'll be a happy coincidence for them. ;-)

What is the actual date you have in mind?

--Pat.