[wplug-board] A professional question

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Thu Apr 12 12:22:14 EDT 2012

On 04/12/2012 11:50 AM, Joseph Prostko wrote:

> I have one that is a couple of years old, but it works well.  I have a
> Brother HL-5280DW, and I purposefully put it in a back room of my
> house so that it is out of the way.  All computers can print to it
> just fine, which is nice, although it's not as straight-forward to set
> up a network printer as it is doing one via USB.  That said, it is
> still pretty easy to do.

I have recently been looking at the HP LaserJet P1102w, for much the
same reason.  It's nice to be able to tuck it out of the way; I don't
have my house wired for Ethernet, so things either have to be wireless,
or directly attached to the computer.  For a while (until it broke), I
had a Lexmark E212 on a Motorola wireless print server.  It was really
nice, all the computers in the house could print to it (Windows and
Linux).  When it broke, I got a USB-only HP LaserJet, and it didn't work
with the print server, so it had to be directly attached to the Windows
system in the living room.  Not only did it make it so that was the only
computer that could print to the printer (could share it to other
Windows systems too, but that required that the living room computer be
turned on in order to print from another machine), but also restricted
where the printer could physically go.  So it had to go in a place where
I couldn't stop the cat from from climbing all over it all the time...

So, yeah, I definitely miss having a wireless printer, and am looking
for a new one.

--Pat.