[wplug-board] email addresses

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Wed Apr 11 17:00:52 EDT 2012

On 04/11/2012 4:48 PM, Michael Loomis wrote:
> I presume I can send an email from the vice-chair of WPULG with the
> wplug.org <http://wplug.org> email address. How do I send such an email?

You won't be able to do so from the Gmail web interface - you'd need to
be using a standalone mail client such as Thunderbird.  Instructions for
setting this up with Gmail are here:

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=ts.cs&ts=1668960&rd=1

One you enable IMAP access for your Gmail, and set up a Thunderbird
account to access that way, you'd need to go into your account settings
and click on "Manage Identities", and add a "vicechair at wplug.org"
identity.  If you have multiple identities defined, Thunderbird will let
you choose between them when sending e-mail, so you need to remember to
select appropriately.  One of your identities (usually the first one
defined, in the process of setting your account up) is used as the default.

This assumes that Gmail's SMTP servers will accept a message that has a
"From:" address that is something different from your Gmail ID.  I
haven't tried this myself, so I'm not sure if it will or not.  Some SMTP
servers that use authentication (such as Gmail's SMTP servers) reject
messages that appear to be "From:" someone other than the login ID of
the user sending the message, for security reasons.

Setting this up does not preclude using the Gmail web interface as
normal - it would be in addition to your normal web-based access.

--Pat.