[wplug-board] put the google voice phone number on future flyers?

Pat Barron pat at lectroid.com
Fri Apr 6 22:01:17 EDT 2012

On 4/6/2012 5:20 PM, Michael Loomis wrote:
> Since we have a google voice number, I think we should use it. We
> could put it on flyers. I am willing to keep track of the WPLUG google
> voice mailbox.

My gut reaction is that we should not encourage people (particularly
people who are new to WPLUG) to try to communicate with us by non-online
means, and should instead direct people towards the general mailing list
and the web site.  My reasoning is:

  * Phone communication is ephemeral; messages to the mailing lists are
    archived and preserved forever.
  * Directing people towards the mailing list gets them in touch with
    all of WPLUG (members and non-members alike).  WPLUG is really the
    totality of the people who participate.  For someone who's not
    familiar with us, I can't think of many reasons they'd need to (or
    want to) get in touch with the board, per se, other than for
    business reasons (like, for instance, the bank wanted a phone number).
  * I fear that, if we publish a phone number as a means of contact,
    some people (particularly those who are more inclined to use the
    phone rather than e-mail) might regard it as a free computer help desk.

Now, that being said, one situation it might be useful for people to
have a phone number might be on meeting day, if they can't find the
location or something.  Though if we have a meeting or presentation in
progress, I'm not sure who would answer the phone.

That's my first impression; I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

--Pat.