[wplug-board] [wplug-members] WPLUG nomination meeting Oct 8

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Thu Sep 15 00:36:10 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 09:24:55PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> why not?

There are several reasons not to change the date:

- The current date has been posted for several months now.  It has
  also been formally announced to the membership.  If we change
  it, we're going to confuse some people.
- We don't know if the Wilkins School is available on an
  alternative date.
- We don't know if a speaker is available on an alternative date.
- To change the date, we need to give at least 4 weeks' notice of
  the new date for nominations to comply with the bylaws (see
  section 4.3).
- To officially meet as a Board to make such a change, the Chair
  must call the meeting and give 24 hours' notice (section 4.5).
  Note, however, that she need not be in attendance.
- The election can be held no sooner than 21 days after the
  nomination meeting (see the Absentee Balloting Rule at
  <http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Special_Rules_of_Order>).  October 22
  is the latest we can hold nominations and still have the
  election meeting on November 12.

I am very much bothered by the idea that we would be excluding
people with the current scheduling, but the above factors also
need to be considered.  The sad fact is that either way we go, we
are going to disadvantage somebody.