[wplug-board] advise an regarding invitation

Terence J. Golightly terencejgolightly at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 23:47:51 EDT 2011

Vance,

On 10/04/2011 12:42 AM, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 07:40:22PM -0400, Terence J. Golightly wrote:
>> What/How might you think I present Wplug?
>
> While obviously grounded in Linux, WPLUG takes a pretty broad view
> toward all Free Software.  Members have been users of FreeBSD,
> Haiku, even proprietary UNIX with the GNU tools installed.  There
> are established user groups for Perl and Ruby, so there's no need
> for us to cover those subjects.  But most any Free and Open Source
> Software is fair game.
>
> You've got some good ideas, Terry.  It's too late at night for me
> to come up with a complete narrative, but I can think of a couple
> of points worth making:
>
> - If you're using Mac OS X, you're *already* using (some) Free
>   Software.  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit>

I didn't know about WebKit.

>   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29>

I was only vaguely familiar with this.

>   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUPS>

Good stuff

> - It's *not* about being anti-Microsoft.

Or Apple for that matter, but agreed.  I will never take such an
inflexible position as I find many apparently do on message boards on
through out the FOSS community.  Promoting Free Software should always
first and for most be about choice.  Then talking about ownership of
your own desktop dovetails nicely with the concept of choice :).  I'll
try to keep it as simple as possible.  I don't know if they have any
type of overhead projector.  So I intend to just do a stand up w/o video
aids.

Regards,

Terry