[wplug-board] Draft of: WPLUG to hold an installfest

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Feb 15 08:41:47 EST 2011

Terence J. Golightly wrote:
> >> <<  should we need some type of notice of no fault on our part? My
> >> concerns is with the second paragraph.>>
>
> What my concern is that someone is going to bring a unit in that we
> cannot work with in a reasonable amount of time (length of installfest)
> e.g. 386, 286 or older architecture.  A remote possibility, but a
> possibility none the less.  How should we handle such a situation.  Just
> send them away?  We know that older versions of distros can be installed
> on 386 architechture (with extra work required).

Hmm, the wiki page <http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Meeting-20110312>
has the following language under "Those attempting an install"

  A computer that is less than 5 years old with a CDROM drive and
  network card is highly recommended.

This is pretty accurate in my experience.  I cannot install the
current Ubuntu or Fedora on my 9-year-old machine.  Perhaps if we
are going to mention older hardware in the announcement, we should
ask people to RSVP if they're bringing some?  This way, we can be
prepared with a distro more suitable for their machine.