[wplug-board] Nominations/election

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon Sep 20 22:49:32 EDT 2010

David Ostroske wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net>wrote:
>
> > DK wrote:
> >
> [...]
>
> > > Let us plan to reschedule the nomination meeting for Sat. 10/23 so as
> > > not to conflict with PPW and CPOSC.
> >
> Ditto here.
>
> However, we need to publicize this meeting as much as we possibly can. We're
> getting outside of our Second-Saturday-of-the-Month comfort zone, and
> October 23 is the latest we can hold the nomination meeting and schedule the
> election meeting on the second Saturday in November.
>
> > If we're going to pick the 23rd, someone needs to convene the
> > meeting on October 16 and then adjourn it to the 23rd.  I can do
> > this if no one else is available.
> >
> Depends on whoever attends the meeting, if Dave K and Nick go missing. I'm
> going to attend, as is Vance, supposedly. How likely is everyone else
> attending, considering your personal circumstances and expected obligations?

I am pretty sure I will be here on the 16th.  I have to travel to
Mexico for the following week but don't think I'm leaving until at
least Sunday the 17th.

The 23rd looks open for me.  I agree that we need to promote the
meeting.  Some possible ways to encourage maximum attendance
(credit to Beth Lynn for most of these ideas):

- Select a venue that doesn't have accessibility issues (i.e.,
  stairs) unlike our current room at the Wilkins School.  This
  could be the auditorium, or another location entirely.

- Book two or even three speakers on interesting topics.  Bring
  people in with quantity AND quality.  Robert Blackwell with the
  Pittsburgh Perl Mongers did a neat talk on the Arduino at the
  Ohio LinuxFest.  Mark Dalrymple also recently offered to speak
  and does a really nice job.

- Promote the event at the Pittsburgh Perl Workshop,
  HackPittsburgh, etc.  Sure most of these people aren't members,
  but some of them may want to join, and having a critical mass
  can stimulate interest among existing members.

- Budget some money to provide food at the meeting.

Some of these require further discussion, but as I see it the
following action items can be undertaken now:

1. Inquire with Robert Blackwell and Mark Dalrymple if they are
   willing/able to speak on either October 23 or November 13.

2. Inquire with possible venues (Wilkins School, Panera [the Mt.
   Lebanon location has a decent-sized room], etc.) about
   availability on October 23 and November 13.

I will commit to doing #1 and report back to the Board on the
results by Friday, September 24.  Who will work on #2?