[wplug-board] Nominations/election

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Sep 18 23:34:42 EDT 2010

A quorum was not present at the nomination meeting earlier today.
Those present adjourned the meeting until October 16.  I did not
recognize the error of this at the time, but it was not in order
to adjourn the meeting until a date after the next scheduled
regular meeting (October 9).

The reason October 16 was selected was because the Pittsburgh Perl
Workshop will be taking place on October 9, which is likely to
compete for attendees.  What we did not realize is that October 16
is the weekend of the Central PA Open Source Conference.

While coming home from the meeting, I had originally thought that
it might be possible to just hold the election in October without
nominations, simply having a write-in ballot.  After reflecting on
our rules, I do not think this is a valid option.

As I see it, the only possible course of action is for the Board
to cancel the October 9 regular meeting.  This opens the way for
the continuation of the nomination meeting to take place on
October 16 or some later date.  After the nomination meeting, the
election announcement would go out a minimum of 21 days before the
election meeting.  This pushes the election to November 6 or
later.