[wplug-board] Nomination meeting falls on Yom Kippur

Beth Lynn Eicher bethlynneicher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 15:23:54 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM, David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like we've got a slight problem with our nominations meeting. We
> moved this month's meeting because Ohio LinuxFest was last weekend, but we
> moved the meeting onto a day that some are prohibited to attend.

I've come to understand that Yom Kipper is a big deal. For those who
are Christian, it is just as offensive as scheduling something on
Easter. If at all possible, I suggest we postpone the business part of
the meeting by one month. This means the elections would be pushed
back 30 days too.

BTW, Yom Kipper is in October in 2011. Whomever is on the board should
try to not let this happen again.

September is a tough month. Don't kick yourself over it.... just live and learn.

> I got a blocked message from Stanley Slomberg in a response to the meeting
> announcement sent out on wplug-announce. We didn't realize it at the time,
> but September 18th falls on Yom Kippur, the Jewish Day of Atonement. Stanley
> won't be able to attend, and neither will any observant Jewish Wpluggers.

I will try to call Stanley late this afternoon but don't know if
Stanley will be able to come to the phone. The Thursday evening before
kicks off the atonement obligations.

> So what do we do?

I'm not on the board but I have given my recommendation above.

We also have a problem with the elections meeting date as it stands
10/9 as it is the same time as Pittsburgh Perl Workshop. I recommend
we push the date to later in October or November. I also would like to
petition the board for a budget of $150 for the elections meeting.
This will allow us to be in a location that is unaccessible.

> Beth Lynn, I know that you will be talking to Stanley Slomberg before the
> meeting. Since any member can make nominations, you could serve as a de
> facto proxy for him. Can you discuss this with him, if you haven't already?

I'm at work until 4pm today. That's the best I can do.

Thanks,

Beth Lynn Eicher