[wplug-board] Welcome and e-mail alias discussion

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon Nov 22 15:49:37 EST 2010

Hello all-

The list membership has been changed to reflect the new board.
<wplug-board at wplug.org> should be your first resort when
discussing board matters.  All messages to the list are archived
and public <http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-board/> so that
there is transparency to our decision making.  Messages containing
personal or sensitive information should not be posted to the list.

To initiate our first discussion, let me bring in something Beth
Lynn asked off-list.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 5:02 AM, Beth Lynn Eicher <bethlynn at wplug.org> wrote:
> Dear Mike,
>
> Do you still have root on wplug's server? If not, please let me know
> who can handle the below questions.
>
> Can you please setup the board alias for the new board members?
>
> Also, Terry needs to be able to read the info at wplug.org
>
> If anyone needs an alias for wplug business, please let Mike know.
>
> The bethlynn at wplug.org alias works for me.

Since moving to the new server, we have NOT been creating new
personal aliases for individuals.  We retained the bethlynn at wplug
alias for historical reasons because it has seen continuous use
and because the person involved has kept in communication.

Several old aliases (e.g., zman) from the previous server were
simply causing massive amounts of mail accumulation and/or bounces
because the addresses they pointed to became inactive.  When we
moved over to the new server, we started with a clean slate, only
keeping bethlynn at wplug.  I ask that you reconsider the wisdom of
offering personal individual @wplug email aliases.  If we are to
offer them, then we should develop policies for:
  1. Who is eligible for one in the first place.
  2. How long they will be retained (forever?  until the person is
     no longer on the board?  until mail to the pointed-to address
     starts bouncing?  until the person moves away from town?).
  3. Who will be responsible for maintaining the aliases.

Note that the current Postfix mail server configuration does not
deliver *any* local mail.  Everything is either re-sent to an
outside destination, sent to a mailing list for processing, or
bounced back to the sender.