[wplug-board] Installfest network

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Fri Jan 23 18:53:24 EST 2009

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Vance Kochenderfer wrote:
> >
> > I have been playing around with my laptop to configure it to serve
> > as a router for a wired LAN with a wireless WAN uplink.
>
> I have a authorization to borrow a Cisco Catalyst 2948G-L3 48x Gig and a
> Dell PowerEdge 750 with 2x 500 gig SATA300.
>
> The PowerEdge is just configured to serve DHCP leases with special
> attributes for PXE booting systems into the Fedora 10 installer.  I can
> add NAT and a PCI wireless card
>
> I can still meet you out there to test out any kinks.  Likely the WIFI
> system is setup to require interactive login with your library card on to
> obtain a DHCP lease in the proper VLAN.

Sounds good, but I wonder how this would work with logging into
the library's portal system
<http://www.carnegielibrary.org/usingthelibrary/technology/wireless/PatronWirelessAuthentication.pdf>
<http://www.carnegielibrary.org/usingthelibrary/technology/wireless/>.

My thought was that I could open up a browser on my laptop and
authenticate there, then users of the wired network would not have
to authenticate individually.

I presume that with the PowerEdge set up to do NAT, the first
person on would have to authenticate to the library system, then
all subsequent traffic would be covered by that.  After all, all
the traffic is going to look like it's coming from the PowerEdge,
right?  Or am I missing something?

No matter what the solution is, I'd like to try testing it
beforehand given the networking problems we've experienced at the
last two installfests.