[wplug-board] Non-WPLUG event announcements

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Aug 26 10:43:20 EDT 2008

Hey folks-

I'm interested to get your opinion on the types of non-WPLUG
events we should promote on the general discussion list.  I
posted the recent Pittsburgh SPIN announcement since it
specifically involved a major piece of open source infrastructure
(Ruby on Rails).  Generally, however, their events do not
especially focus on free and open source software, so I don't post
those announcements.

I received the following announcement and a request to pass it
along to the group.  While I'm sure there are members who may be
interested in the event, I'm wary of spamming listmembers with
announcements for events which have no clear link to WPLUG's
organizational purpose.  It would be one thing if Ms. Simon posted
the announcement to the list herself, but coming from a board
member implies a certain level of endorsement.

What do you think?  Is this announcement on-topic?  Where should
we draw the line?  Thanks.