[wplug-board] Mailman setup and final migration

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Wed Apr 16 13:24:17 EDT 2008

Michael Semcheski wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I have set up mailman as well as I can, and copied the archives and
> > configuration from penguin into the proper places on linode.  There
> > are still two remaining problems:
> >  1. The web interface is a bit screwed up; I think this has to do
> >     with the apache config somehow.
>
> I think this is something I can fix, if you give me a little more
> information.  I am pretty comfortable with Apache conf's.

claims that there are no publicly-advertised lists, although
there should be several.  (Mailman is currently stopped, but I
got the same message while it was running.  You should make sure
not to leave it running because it will try to send out various
administrative messages, etc.)

I believe that mailman's pages get accessed through scripts in the
/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin directory.  There are some configuration
directives in /etc/httpd/conf.d/13.mailman.conf.  You'll also
notice that the images on the page (e.g., /icons/mailman.jpg) do
not display although they are in /var/www/icons/.

I'm not really sure where to begin or what else might be relevant,
so let me know if you have specific questions.

> Would it be better to create MX records for wplug.org, and point them at
> linode.wplug.org?  We might even be able to proxy www.wplug.org/mailman ->
> linode.wplug.org.

It appears that a lot of the mailman URLs are hard-coded, so I'm
wary of trying to do anything fancy with host names.

The current DNS setup is:

wplug.org.              IN      A       128.2.204.143
www.wplug.org.          IN      A       128.2.204.143
penguin.wplug.org.      IN      A       128.2.204.143
linode.wplug.org.       IN      A       64.22.124.88

IMO, it should be set as follows:

wplug.org.              IN      MX      10 penguin.wplug.org.
wplug.org.              IN      CNAME   penguin.wplug.org.
www.wplug.org.          IN      CNAME   penguin.wplug.org.
penguin.wplug.org.      IN      A       128.2.204.143
linode.wplug.org.       IN      A       64.22.124.88

which would do nothing to disrupt the current setup.

And then once migration takes place, switched over to:

wplug.org.              IN      MX      10 linode.wplug.org.
wplug.org.              IN      CNAME   linode.wplug.org.
www.wplug.org.          IN      CNAME   linode.wplug.org.
penguin.wplug.org.      IN      A       128.2.204.143
linode.wplug.org.       IN      A       64.22.124.88

Later on we can also publish an SPF record if we feel like it.

> I'm going to be a little bit busy on the 27th due to some maintenance at
> Pitt, but otherwise the plan is fine with me.

Great, I'm hoping that it won't take the whole weekend to
successfully complete the cutover, but want to be prepared for the
worst.