[wplug-board] Survey questions

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Tue Mar 13 23:46:52 EDT 2007

I've looked through the survey Patrick's put together and it's very
good (I can send the URL privately if you need it).  Some comments
on the questions:

Q: What is the highest level of education you've achieved?
Q: Which of the following best describes your occupation?

Maybe Patrick can explain the demographic issues, since I'm kind
of clueless as to how we'd use the information collected here and
why we'd pick these factors over others such as age or gender.

Q: What area best describes where you live?

Perhaps rephrase as "What areas are convenient for you to attend
meetings?"  This would take into account people who work someplace
far from where they live, and also their willingness to travel.
Maybe this could be a list of areas with three possible responses
to each: "would attend," "might attend," and "would not attend."

(I'm assuming that's the point we're driving at with this question;
if not, feel free to enlighten me.)

Q: Are you a member of WPLUG?

I think an "if not, why not?" follow-up may be appropriate here.

Q: What topics would you like to see addressed at future WPLUG
   general meetings?

It'd be nice to have a larger textbox for the "other" option.

One of the questions Greg came up with that I think is worthwhile
asking is:
  What do you seek to get out of WPLUG?
    *Technical networking
    *Social networking
    *Education
    *Career Development
    *Professional visibility
    *Other _____________________________

IMO, this is important to understanding the needs/desires of our
target population so we can meet them.  (The response items
probably could use some tweaking.)

Another one of Greg's suggestions that I liked was getting feedback
on how well we're satisfying people.  We could devise some kind of
rating system, or simply have the following two questions with
space for freeform text input:
  What does WPLUG do well?
  In what areas does WPLUG need improvement?

A final space for any other comments at the end of the survey would
be nice as well, to give people a chance to say anything that the
questions didn't cover.

What do you think?