[wplug-board] Re: Draft ballot for Bylaws Amendment Proposals and Board Elections

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 01:46:10 EDT 2006

On 9/28/06, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:
> > Since you've evidently got access to Penguin, it would probably make
> > sense to send you the final PDF and have you place it on the server,
> > then give you the changes to make to http://www.wplug.org/vote/ for
>
> Sure, no problem.

Thanks, Vance. These will be coming your way within the hour.

> > Actually, I plan to use two separate pages. I don't want to use
> > double-sided ballots; we should count these separately. In fact, the
> > language instructs voters to fold the two pages separately.
>
> Ah.  This will work, but you'll want to make sure that the tellers
> know that when they are removing ballots from the envelopes, that
> only one of each page is enclosed.  I don't expect it to happen,
> but in theory someone could slip two election pages into their
> envelope and leave out the bylaws page, thus voting twice.

This technique requires the tellers to glace at which page is which
and sort them out. If someone sends in two of the same ballot, then we
could ask them which one is the correct ballot when their envelope is
opened (RONR, p.441). If they're not present, we could try calling
them or emailing them. And if we can't reach them, then their ballots
will be deemed invalid. That there's the hard line.

If someone accidentally submitted their votes on a double-sided
printout, we'll count the amendment votes first, then transfer their
papers to the other election. I'll make sure that for the teller's
report, we get a ballot count when the tellers open the ballots,
indicating the state of the ballots: a box for valid two-page ballots,
a box for double-sided ballots, and space for illegal ballots (double
ballots for the same vote or election that cannot be resolved by the
member, for instance).

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>