[wplug-board] Re: Draft ballot for Bylaws Amendment Proposals and Board Elections

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 15:34:52 EDT 2006

On 9/28/06, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:
> > I've attached the draft ballots for the October 2006 bylaws amendment
> > proposals and the Board of Directors election, as a PDF, an ODT file,
> > an SXW file, and a web page.
>
> I've only looked at the PDF and HTML versions, but they look very
> good.  I like the explanation that's given for the two bylaws
> amendments.  It would be nice to fit it all onto one page, but I
> don't think that's feasible.

Thanks, Vance. Considering you're the only one who's seen the PDF so
far (I forgot about the -board list's 40KB limit), I appreciate your
feedback.

Since you've evidently got access to Penguin, it would probably make
sense to send you the final PDF and have you place it on the server,
then give you the changes to make to http://www.wplug.org/vote/ for
this year. I plan to get everything done tonight, and by God, I will!

> You may want to increase the line spacing for the list of
> candidates, especially the write-ins.  Things are a little tight
> in the draft, and you've got plenty of space to work with, so
> it's best not to make people write really small.

I did play around with the spacing a bit. Last year's ballot was
tight. This year, I made the candidate's names bigger, to compensate.
I will be providing more space between names on the final ballot.

> You'll want to have pre-printed ballots to bring to the meeting
> for members to fill out and cast.  It would seem appropriate to
> make them double-sided.

Actually, I plan to use two separate pages. I don't want to use
double-sided ballots; we should count these separately. In fact, the
language instructs voters to fold the two pages separately.

> A couple of technical comments: you can reduce the size of the PDF
> by only using the "Times," "Helvetica," and "Courier" fonts.  Using
> other fonts means they have to be included in the PDF, bloating it
> (sometimes considerably).  The margins are a little small too for
> many printers.  Also, in the HTML version you want to use &nbsp;
> entities in the brackets before each candidate's name - if you use
> normal spaces they just get compressed down to one.

I would have used Helvetica, had I remembered to do that. :/

I'm not sure what to do about the margins, since the first page holds
so much information; I'll see what I can do.

I used &nbsp; entities when I first composed the ballots, but in the
conversion process, I must have stripped them out. I'll put them back
in.

> Overall, great job!

Thanks, Vance!

BTW, I just spoke to Chris Teodorski. He's accepted his nomination, so
he's officially on the ballot. Chris, if you ever get caught up
reading your email, thanks! :)

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>