[wplug-board] ballots and bylaws revision

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 01:51:09 EDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> > Guys, the box would need to be checked more often than it's checked
> > now. It was about once every ten days, right? Is it checked more
> > frequently now?
>
> Umm, no, why should it be?  Once we send out the ballots, maybe, but
> it's not critical.

That's what I'm talking about, after the ballots are sent. I just
wanted to know how often it's checked now. The last time period that I
heard was once every ten days. I'd want to check the mail at least
twice a week while the poll is open.

> One report at the end is fine with me.  I don't see what having someone
> go through the trouble of interim reports would manage to do.  We can't
> change election process mid-election.

We're not changing the process mid-election. The balloting has not
even begun yet! (I'm to blame for that, for the most part.) We are
laying out how the election would be handled once the ballots are sent
out. We should have sorted this out earlier.

I don't know how Mark Dalrymple handled things last month, but I
personally want to make sure that we'll be receiving the ballots
properly. This is my duty, under our election rules. But since I don't
have a key to the mailbox, I rely on you, Patrick, or on Bill, to
inform me on the reception of the ballots.

Maybe I'm being hard on you guys. But I'm hard on myself, too. It's
the only way I can get my own things accomplished. It's a necessary
condition.

> I would argue for having the list of names of people who submitted
> absentee ballots by mail included.  The reason is because in any
> election the submission of an absentee ballot is a public event.  Next
> time you go to your polling place, ask them where they have posted the
> list of received absentee ballots.  Heck, you can even ask to see the
> envelope each absentee ballot is in, but not the ballot itself of
> course.  The ballots are sealed until the end of the night.

I'll accept that. We can put that list into the minutes of the meeting.

> Other than that little nit-picky thing, stuff looks good.

Thanks, Patrick.

Personally, I'm still straining to get this stuff done. I need to
focus a bit more tightly on getting the ballots out the door. I need
the stress, dammit, but I don't need the anxiety.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>