[wplug-board] Meeting on October 30, 2006 (Chris, don't delete me)

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 21 20:54:28 EDT 2006

Folks,

So just so it's in the records and I make sure I have everything
correct.  The new officers are:

Chair - Patrick Wagstrom
Vice Chair - Vance Kochenderfer
Treasurer - David Ostroske
Secretary - Bill Moran
Member at Large - Beth Lynn Eicher

We've tentatively set a meeting date for October 30th, 2006 at 7:30 at
Carnegie Mellon, although I still have to book a room.  If that falls
through, we can just meet at my house which is very close to CMU and
only a minute or two off the parkway.

Rather than just going into a regular meeting, I'm going to do things a
bit differently for the first meeting.  I'd like for us to review what's
gone on over the past year and help plan where we're going for the next
year.  Thus, I hope it's okay if invite Chris Teodorski to the meeting
because we'll be recapping the last year.  It's always good to have a
transition meeting even if only person is transitioning.

We'll also work on setting a one, three, and five year plan for WPLUG.
This is something that I hope we can do annually.  The purpose of the
plans is to never reach the three and five year plans, but instead
always review them to make sure that we're heading toward our goals.

So, here's some homework for you.  For the people who were officers last
year:

Take some time and write up a summary of what was accomplished while you
were in your office.  In particular try to address the following:
	* What did you do that went well?
	* What went poorly?
	* How could the position run better?
	* Who were key contacts for you?
	* How did the position surprise you?
	* What would you like to see the position do?
Write this about your position for the previous year (i.e. I'll write
about Treasurer).  Obviously, Vance gets off easy on this one.

Second, I'd like for people to take some time and brainstorm some ideas
for a one year and three year plan.  Five year can be a bit nebulous and
difficult to do by yourself, so we'll do that as a group.  The plan
should consist of concrete items.  For example:

One Year:
	* Stabilize organization membership at 35 paying members
	* Bring in 3 corporate speakers
	* Expand The Open Pitt to 4 pages monthly
	* Resolve committee issues by assigning committee chairs

Three Year:
	* Increase WPLUG to 60 paying members
	* Host large scale annual conference
	* Formalize relations with local technology community

I think that if we have a plan it can guide our actions a bit better and
provide for a great board and even better organization.  Thanks folks,
you all are great.

--Patrick