[wplug-board] Meeting confirmation?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Oct 11 16:01:13 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 14:24 -0400, David Ostroske wrote:
> > don't complain when you vote to have you wear a hula skirt and juggle
> > fire at the next meeting.  Meeting ends no later than 11am.
> >
> > How's that sound?
>
> Let's set the end time at 12 noon. We'll shoot for 11am, but we should
> spend more than 1-1/2 hours preparing for the annual meeting.

See, that takes a hard end time, and makes it not hard.  Some of us have
families that we have commitments to.  I'm fairly certain that most
every meeting can be done in under and hour, so an hour and a half is
fine.  Here's some simple steps everyone can take:

1. WRITE OUT YOUR REPORT BEFOREHAND
This isn't like the last time I mentioned this where reports turned into
discussion.  Here's an example:

For the year ending, we have $XX in our account.  At the last meeting we
got $XX in dues, but I believe Dave is stashing more.   The mailing
address of the accounts has not be updated yet, but I'll probably do it
when I sign the box over to other people.

Simple.  You got other stuff, put it in discussion.

2. The schedule for the membership meeting is pretty straight forward,
no?  I'm probably missing a few things here, but I'll give it a stab.

1. Call to order
2. Reports of Officers
 a. Chair
 b. Vice Chair
 c. Secretary
 d. Treasurer
 e. Director at Large
3. Unfinished Business
 a. Motions from last meeting
4. New Business
 a. Formally close the polls (strictly speaking, we don't need a vote
for this)
 b. Formal selection of election tellers
 c. Motions from the floor
5. Announcements
6. Close Meeting

Then we move on to get some food provided by Beth Lynn and Myself (and
whoever else, I'll send out an email on plan after we talk on Saturday
about the food situation).

Lightning Talks

Election Results

Beer

3. Think about what we need to do as a board for handover and to keep
the organization running.  With Beth Lynn in a reduced capacity, we
could be in trouble.  Examples of things not to bring up are:
  a. We should find someone to do donut troll
  b. Maybe we can look into a new meeting space
  c. I wonder if we could do a movie showing
Examples of things to bring up are:
  a. Bill Moran will do Donut Troll
  b. Patrick Wagstrom will contact CMU about meeting space
  c. Dave Ostroske will set up a showing of a movie

I really despise meetings.  I've got much better things to do than sit
in meetings, and I think I'm being generous with an hour and a half.
Our meetings that go late are ALWAYS the least productive.  Be focused,
keep the laptops closed, and get stuff done.

--Patrick