[wplug-board] Re: Change in dues

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jul 21 10:12:53 EDT 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:37:54 -0400
"David Ostroske" <eksortso at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > Couple of things on this:
> > 1) Do we have enough time to get a membership vote on Aug 5?
> > 2) Do we think it's worthwhile for me to make a big speech/explanation
> >    so that everyone understands the reasons we have for doing this?
>
> The first wave of memberships hit their due date on September 22, and
> these members could vote without re-upping until October 19. We would
> want to set the new dues amount before then, or else we wouldn't be
> changing much of anything. We'd end up with another year's worth of
> "register for pizza" if everyone re-upped early.
>
> However, since the election is in mid-month October, then August 19th
> would be the last date on which people could join to become eligible
> voters by the time of the election. (I'm assuming the election will be
> held on October 14th.) If we suddenly changed the dues requirement on
> the 5th, that means that a slim number of members could vote to throw
> up a hurdle, albeit a minor one, to eager lurkers who want to
> participate in the election.
>
> So this will be a tricky topic to take up on August 5th. Bill, I think
> we're going to need a really big explanation for this, and in order to
> get an announcement out by Saturday, I'll need you to get it in
> writing by then!!

Personally, my instinct tells me that none of these issues will be major
in nature.

However, I'm the proactive type.  I'll come up with an email later today
explaning the changes and the reasons.  I'll post it to the board list,
and if we're all happy with it, I'll post it to the members list.

Depending on the feedback we get, I'll take some time to prepare some
discussion at meeting time.  It would be nice to get this past the
membership at the next meeting: get busy with those bribes Patrick!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies