[wplug-board] Change in dues

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 00:37:54 EDT 2006

There is something that I want to take up, based on the last meeting,
which merits a change in the subject line. That's the proposed change
in annual dues, and my comments are below.

On 7/20/06, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
[...]
> > * Quorum issues
> > The board agreed upon the following tactics in order to handle both
> > quorum issues and the over-extended
> > membership roster:
> > *We can set annual dues at $10.00 per member. (This requires approval
> > by the membership.)
> > *We would not offer pizza coupons, as we had done in the past.
> > *In order to bring in members to meetings, we will offer free raffle
> > tickets to members to who arrive early for business meetings. We will
> > be testing this in August, at which we can discuss these matters
> > further with the membership. Patrick will get $50.00 in WPLUG swag
> > (T-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.) from Cafe Press for the August
> > membership meeting.
>
> Couple of things on this:
> 1) Do we have enough time to get a membership vote on Aug 5?
> 2) Do we think it's worthwhile for me to make a big speech/explanation
>    so that everyone understands the reasons we have for doing this?

The first wave of memberships hit their due date on September 22, and
these members could vote without re-upping until October 19. We would
want to set the new dues amount before then, or else we wouldn't be
changing much of anything. We'd end up with another year's worth of
"register for pizza" if everyone re-upped early.

However, since the election is in mid-month October, then August 19th
would be the last date on which people could join to become eligible
voters by the time of the election. (I'm assuming the election will be
held on October 14th.) If we suddenly changed the dues requirement on
the 5th, that means that a slim number of members could vote to throw
up a hurdle, albeit a minor one, to eager lurkers who want to
participate in the election.

So this will be a tricky topic to take up on August 5th. Bill, I think
we're going to need a really big explanation for this, and in order to
get an announcement out by Saturday, I'll need you to get it in
writing by then!!

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>