[wplug-board] Board meeting next week, sometime?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 12 17:17:51 EST 2006

> So.  The first thing I'd like to do is propose that we adopt a "tradition"
> of "work + afterparty".  The concept is we work before we play.  I'd like
> to recommend that we schedule board meetings at the most non-distracting
> places possible - preferably meeting rooms.  No food.  No TV in the
> background.  The goal is to get into the board meeting and get through
> the agenda efficiently.

Excellent idea.  A well run meeting should save us lots of time and keep
tempers from flaring.  I've been told that a little vein pops out in my
head when I get angry.  You don't want to see the angry vein do you?

> The "afterparty" part is optional.  That way if someone is on a budget,
> they can successfully whine about how little money they have.  (Note,
> that successful mooching is more effective when the only other option
> is that said moocher can't attend!)

I prefer to whine, thank you.

> This accomplishes a number of things:
> 1) It encourages us to get _work_ done.
> 2) If someone is on a major time crunch, then can attend the board
>     meeting knowing it will be as short as possible and not go to the
>     afterparty.
> 3) If someone is cash-strapped, they can attend the board meeting
>     without worrying about money, and can focus their finances on
>     what's important: the afterparty.
> 4) It gives us a larger variety of places to go for the afterparty,
>     since we don't have to worry about a location that serves both
>     purposes.
> 5) It allows me to type up a long-winded explanation.
> 6) It allows me to use the term "afterparty" which presents the
>     illusion that I actually have a social life.
>
> I'm not so sure if there's really any advantage to #5.
>
> Anyway.  My suggestion then is that we seek out a place to have the
> board meeting that fits the following criteria:
> 1) It's primarily a meeting place.  One of the conference rooms at
>     CMU would be fairly ideal, if Beth can swing it.
> 2) It's close to places that are good for afterparties.
> 3) It's as easy for everyone to get to as possible.

I can also see about reserving rooms, although they'll be in a different
building, but they're close to parking on Frew St. by Flagstaff Hill.
If we don't hear from Beth, I'll see what I can do for a Wednesday
meeting next week.  Would people want to eat beforehand?  Should we
shoot for 7pm?

--Patrick