[wplug-board] Membership meetings

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Tue Feb 7 14:05:07 EST 2006

David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/7/06, Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com> wrote:
> > Looking at the schedule, I think it would be practical to schedule a
> > membership meeting for March 5.  I believe the idea of having the
> > meeting 10:00 - 11:00 is a good one, and we can then have the rest
> > of the installfest.
>
> March 5 is a Sunday, which is sort of an odd time for a membership
> meeting. Could we do this on March 11 instead? We could still do a
> 10-11 meeting, and it corresponds with a GUM.

While the 11th is certainly possible, I'm discouraged by the amount of
crazy running around I did on Feb 11th.  The 5th meeting has the
room scheduled for 7 hours, as opposed to the 11th meeting, which is
only for 5 hours.  On the 11th, we'll have -1 hour for talk, and -1
hour for pizza.  When you figure in setup and teardown, we'll have to
be more efficient than we have been in order to fit in a membership
meeting.

> > I feel that trying to schedule a membership meeting for this coming
> > Saturday is not such a good idea, as we won't have enough time to
> > get all the ducks in a row, and our time on the 11th is limited.
>
> Agreed. But I would like to float the idea of having a Board Meeting
> on the 11th, if we can do that.

I thought we already had a board meeting scheduled for this month?  My
memory is ailing me, however.  Did we schedule for the 15th or for
tomorrow?

> > The following are a number of things I'd like to have occur.  I'm
> > interested in feedback on this:
> >
> > 1) An announcement should go out ASAP.  This week would be good.
>
> This is a good idea. However, I'll be out of town for the next few
> days, and I won't be back until Friday. I'll try to get an
> announcement together, but I might need Beth to back me up.

Understood.  Someone can help out.

> > 2) Can we reserve an actual room from 10:00 - 11:00 for the
> >    meeting (in addition to the atrium)?
> > 3) The following groups should have someone present to provide a
> >    report:
> >  a) Treasurer (will you be there, Patrick?)
> >  b) All committees
> >  Even if the report is "nothing to report", there should be someone
> >  there to give it.
> > 4) Of course, David will need to have a current membership roster,
> >    as well as the previous meeting's minutes for approval.
>
> The membership roster's easy to get from the website. As for prior
> draft minutes, we haven't had an official meeting since last November.
> I've got those minutes, so no worries. I can make handouts if they're
> needed.

I figured you'd have everything in order, but I wanted to cover all the
bases.

> > 5) We need to set an agenda for the meeting.  We should discuss any
> >    business to propose, then ask the membership if they have any
> >    business they'd like added to the agenda.
>
> This is the place to start putting that agenda together!
>
> So far for the meeting, we have:
> * PR Committee
>
> Is there more to add? The whole "Passing the Penguin" language is due
> to be reintroduced, but I'll hold off on that right now.

Isn't the Penguin stuff for the next board meeting?  I'm not aware of
anything else to bring before the members, except committee reports.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies