[wplug-board] Draft Minutes for WPLUG Board meeting, 8/16/2006

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 09:25:00 EDT 2006

Here are the draft minutes from the last board meeting. The Board will
be meeting again on the 29th to consider possible amendments to the
bylaws. Anything that comes up will be discussed at the nominations
meeting on September 16th.

---
WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA LINUX USERS GROUP
Scheduled Board Meeting, August 16th, 2006, 7:00pm
8220 Newell-Simon Hall, Carnegie Mellon University

0. CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 7:49 PM.

All 5 Directors were present at the meeting:
*Patrick Wagstrom, Treasurer
*David Ostroske, Secretary
*Bill Moran, Chair
*Chris Teodorski, Director-At-Large
*Beth Lynn Eicher, Vice-Chair

1. READING AND APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The minutes for the June 21st, 2006 meeting were adopted as posted.
http://wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-board/2006-July/000783.html

The minutes for the July 12th, 2006 meeting were adopted as corrected.
The second draft is here:
http://wplug.org/pipermail/wplug-board/2006-August/000822.html

2. REPORTS OF OFFICERS, BOARDS, AND STANDING COMMITTEES
2.1. OFFICERS
* Bill Moran, Chair
Nothing to report.

* Beth Lynn Eicher, Vice Chair
Beth reported that the receipt for the cooler was found. She gave it
to Patrick for proper accounting.

* David Ostroske, Secretary
Dave reported that as of August 16th, 2006, WPLUG has 82 members. The
Board size prescribed in the bylaws is 7. Thus, the membership meeting
quorum is now 17.

The 45 charter members' dues lapse on September 22, 2006.

* Patrick Wagstrom, Treasurer
Patrick gave the following report:
---BEGIN
Current Financial Status: ~ $264 cash
                         $297.61 in checking account

2 Proposals to be approved in writing:
 $47.95 for giveaway stuff (approved by voice vote at last meeting)
 $33.00 for PO Box (approved by voice vote at last meeting)

2 checks to be written:
  $47.95 to Patrick Wagstrom for giveaway stuff
  $33.00 to Patrick Wagstrom for PO Box
---END

In addition, Patrick will update the mailing address on the checking
account, so that bank statements will be delivered to WPLUG's new P.O.
box.

* Chris Teodorski, Director-at-Large
Nothing to report.

2.2. BOARDS
* Beth, Bill: Future meeting spaces
Beth reported that we have the library for the Nominations Meeting on
September 16, 2006, and for the Annual Meeting on October 21, 2006.

The Board will continue to look for future meeting rooms. Beth will
look for another room for the GUM to be held on October 7th, 2006.

* Beth, Bill, Chris: LugRadio Live feasibility study
Chris reported that the LugRadio people have not responded to his
messages. Nothing else has been done yet.

* Dave: Gmail-hosted email accounts
Dave has not sent the survey yet, due to lingering quorum issues and
the discovery of recoverable errors in the membership database. He
will address the membership database first, so this will be taken up
later.

* Beth, Patrick: Moving Installfest to a quarterly schedule
Patrick reported that the next Installfest will be held in November
2006. Nothing to report on the scheduling so far.

* Patrick: Quorum issues
Patrick reported:
Loot was ordered and has arrived. We owe Vance a mug. That leaves a
tote bag and two laptop stickers left.

He also reported that he sent a bag to the winner of the August 5th
raffle. We will continue to give away swag at future meetings.

* Patrick: Business cards
Nothing to report.

* Patrick: FreeNode
Patrick reported:
FreeNode is still not registering people.

* Patrick, Beth: Ohio LinuxFest 2006
Patrick reported:
OLF announcement was sent out, not much more interest. Will continue
to send monthly announcements.

2.3. STANDING COMMITTEES
* Internet Committee
Duncan Hutty has reported that the secondary server has been put
online. As of the 16th, it's not offering services.

* Program Committee
Patrick reported:
---BEGIN
Met briefly after the 8/5/06 meeting
September 16, nominations, will be at Sq Hill library. Patrick
Wagstrom will be speaking on GNOME. Mike O'Connor will host, Scott
Kriebel will try to co-host.

October 21, elections, will be at Sq Hill library. Lightning talks
will be done. Patrick Wagstrom will host. No word on a co-host yet.

Judi Galardi was looking into a location for an Acronis presentation.

No one responds to my emails about scheduling.
---END

* Newsletter Committee
Vance had reported that the most recent issue of the Open Pitt was
published on July 31st.

* Public Relations Committee
Nothing official to report so far. Greg Simkins has started posting
our events on BusinessCalendar.org.

3. REPORTS OF SPECIAL COMMITTEES
* ErieLUG Revival Committee
Chris reported that "Just Bill" Bukowski can give a talk but cannot
organize. Bill spoke with John M Rice, who said that a talk has been
scheduled in Erie, on the 19th at 3pm at Tim Horton's on Peach St in
Erie. Rice has a baby on the way, so his involvement with ErieLUG will
be limited. Beth will talk to them again, either in Ohio or at some
other time.

4. SPECIAL ORDERS
None.

5/6. UNFINISHED BUSINESS AND GENERAL ORDERS / NEW BUSINESS
* Need for better accounting at meetings
Patrick reported that we don't know who gave us pizza money and how
their money got allocated at the last few meetings, and that this is a
financial liability issue.

We agreed to the following policies:
---BEGIN
Members who pay their dues in cash must be given a receipt.

The host of a meeting is ultimately responsible for the accounting for
the meeting. Forms, and instructions on how to use them, will be made
available to the host before the meeting.
---END

* New mailing address
Patrick reported that the PO Box has been rented. He has one key, and
he gave the second key to Bill. Bill is closest to Squirrel Hill on
weekdays, and Patrick is second-closest. They will check the mailbox
every week or week-and-a-half. The address will given out only as
needed.

* Contact information for members
Patrick recommended that, for accounting purposes, we should have this
information for all members:
*Name
*Email Address
*A physical Mailing Address
*Optionally, a Phone Number

We agreed; we will require this information when new members join, or
when current members renew their memberships.

* Committee activity
We need to take action to make sure that committee work gets accomplished.

We agreed to the following courses of action:
*Lean on the Internet Committee to establish the WPLUG wiki.
*Send Vance and Greg compliments for the good work that they've done
on the Newsletter and PR committees.
*Coordinate a meeting of the the Program Committee.

Patrick will contact everyone on the Program Committee. They need to
select a Committee Chair, and to discuss ideas for WPLUG activities
around Halloween and Thanksgiving, at the bare minimum.

Dave will email the list of committee members to each of the Board members.

The matter of committee activity is not yet fully resolved. We agreed
to take this up at a later meeting.

We will meet again on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 at 7pm. This will be
a special meeting, at which we will specifically address bylaws
revisions and committee matters.

* Annual Dues
The following notice will be sent to the members in the call for the
September 16th, 2006 Membership Meeting:
The Board recommends that the annual dues shall be $20.00 for each
member. This requires approval by the membership.

We agreed to the following policy for advance payment of dues:
As per the bylaws, the term of membership shall be one year; however,
members may not pay dues to extend their remaining membership term any
longer than eighteen months.

7. ADJOURN
We adjourned at 9:40pm.

--