[wplug-board] This saturday's GUM and board meeting

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:34:03 EST 2005

On 11/29/05, Beth Lynn <bethlynn at wplug.org> wrote:
[...]
> Point 1, pass the penguin language
> As a member, Dave can make his "pass the penguin" proposal during the
> membership part of the meeting.

I could. But like I said, it's not likely to pass at this meeting
(officially) unless we get over half the membership to show up. But
nothing's preventing us from using the penguin anyway, so I can wait.

I'm thinking that we might have trouble making the meeting
announcement 14 days ahead of time. So much of what we do is "last
minute," so giving prior notice for things like special rules would be
tough. Let's not worry about this for now, but it might bite us in the
butt later.

> Point 2, the gift of the bean bag penguin
> As the former chair, I plan to gift my bean bag penguin that I bought with
> my own money to Bill Moran as a sign of public support. This is not the
> same action as "passing the penguin" as described in point 1.

That's a nice gesture, Beth.

> Point 4, event announcements vs membership announcements
[...]
> Dave, you do have posting rights to wplug-members if you choose to post an
> announcement.

Thanks, Beth. Your reading of the committee function is essentially
correct. I'm starting to get a better feel for that.

I'd like to coordinate the two announcements with the Program
Committee. They're more responsible for internal affairs than the PR
Committee, so they'd be responsible for sending notice to the
-announce list.

[...]
> Point 6, board meeting scheduling
> This may be a dumb question: If all of the board members agree to adjust a
> meeting time more than 2 days in advance of the pre-agreed upon time, why
> can't we?

Nah, it's not a dumb question.

If all 5 of us agree to the new time, then no problems. But all 5 of
us haven't agreed, yet. Also, what if something happens between the
actual and the scheduled meeting times that would affect our
decision-making?

These are all philosophical matters so far. We'll see how it all goes,
but I'd rather not get too loose with the rules at this time. How's it
go? "If it bends, it's funny. If it breaks..." :)

But yeah, it'd be nice if we could get the Board business done early.
If there's no controversy, then we could just do what we need to.
Sorry if I'm being a jerk.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>