[wplug-board] This saturday's GUM and board meeting

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:27:52 EST 2005

Looks like the penguin language will have to wait...

On 11/28/05, Patrick Wagstrom <pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 18:25 -0500, David Ostroske wrote:
> > I'll have to check Robert's on this, but if all 5 of us show up early,
> > I think we could start the Board meeting before the Membership
> > meeting. It might be preferable, because of the Passing the Penguin
> > language...
>
> Sounds good.  I can get there whenever.  Earlier definately is better.

Patrick, even if we all arrive early, we don't really have authority
to start early. If we could meet 3 hours early, there's nothing to
stop us from meeting 3 days earlier, or 3 weeks.

But it wouldn't make any difference, because passing a special rule of
order requires BOTH a 2/3 vote and prior notice (or without notice, a
majority of the entire membership, which is pretty dang huge)
(Robert's, 10th ed., p.116). Even if we agree to recommend the
language, the Membership wouldn't have been given prior notice. So
we'd have to wait until January, anyway.

[...]
> Before I can agree to this, I need to see the bank's privacy policy
> regarding this data.  I know it's for the USA pat-RIOT act, but many
> banks do other not-so-nice stuff with the information.

Good thinking. I hate the USA PATRIOT Act. I'll leave it at that...

I'm one of the few people in the group who can spell "Microsoft"
without a dollar sign. I don't want to demonize, I want to fix what's
broken.

[...]
> > I'm a bit confused about who announces what. Beth, as Vice-Chair, do
> > you send the GUM announcement out, and do I send the Meeting
> > announcement out? Do meeting announcements fall under "conducting the
> > general correspondence," or does that duty pertain only to speaking
> > with outside organizations?
>
> It seems that this is something that would best fall to the program
> committee.  After all, aren't they in charge of meetings and the such?

Well, I got the impression that the Program Committee is simply in
charge of lining up the events, not announcing them. Unless, though,
event announcements constitutes reports to the Membership. We'll sort
this out at the meeting.

[...]
> > > BTW Does anyone want to host/cohost?
> >
> > I could cohost.
>
> If hosting is just generally making announcements, making sure folks
> sign in, and the such, I have no problem hosting.

There's a list of things to be done by the host and others. It's on the website:
http://wplug.org/pages/wplug-meeting

And Beth? I suppose, calls for hosts/cohosts/etc. should be made on
the -plan list. We can do this stuff, but there's only 5 of us on this
list.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at gmail.com>