[wplug-board] This saturday's GUM and board meeting

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 28 21:36:27 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 18:25 -0500, David Ostroske wrote:
> I'll have to check Robert's on this, but if all 5 of us show up early,
> I think we could start the Board meeting before the Membership
> meeting. It might be preferable, because of the Passing the Penguin
> language...

Sounds good.  I can get there whenever.  Earlier definately is better.

> > * Creation of a PR committee
>
> Is good.

PR ++

> > * Signing of the bank account signature card. The bank asks that the
> > Chair, Vice Chair, and Treasurer sign the card and provide their social
> > security numbers. The bank also wants photo copies of our driver's license
> > In addition, I plan to bring the check book and the rest of the bank
> > statements.
>
> Also good.

Before I can agree to this, I need to see the bank's privacy policy
regarding this data.  I know it's for the USA pat-RIOT act, but many
banks do other not-so-nice stuff with the information.

> > * Discussion of a small fund set aside for meeting refreshments controlled
> > by the program committee. The reason why I want to do this is to avoid
> > single-point-of-failure issues. It is my prediction that the refreshment
> > fund will continue to be mostly self-replenishing. After doing this for a
> > couple years I have found that sometimes we lose a small amount of money
> > on a meeting (~ $10) but more often we gain a small amount of money
> > $10-$25 such that the gains more than make up for the occasional loss. I
> > would be in favor of language that caps the refreshment fund at $40 and
> > any overage would go back to the general treasury.
>
> Seems like a decent course of action.

I'm in agreement on this.  I'll just create two accounting ledgers for
WPLUG, one for refreshments, one for general funds.

> We also have some reports to deal with.
> * Mike O'Connor expressed interest in serving on the Program
> Committee. Shall we agree to that?

I'm in favor of this.  Mike's a good guy and hard worker.  mpop++

> > We need to send out a meeting announcement to the -announce list soon.
>
> We should copy that message to -members as well. It should be known to
> the membership by now that we can hold official Membership meetings at
> the same time as the GUMs, but they haven't received any notification
> of the Passing the Penguin language. They'd need a 2/3 vote to pass
> it, without prior notice. I hope that sets well with everyone.
>
> I'm a bit confused about who announces what. Beth, as Vice-Chair, do
> you send the GUM announcement out, and do I send the Meeting
> announcement out? Do meeting announcements fall under "conducting the
> general correspondence," or does that duty pertain only to speaking
> with outside organizations?

It seems that this is something that would best fall to the program
committee.  After all, aren't they in charge of meetings and the such?

> > BTW Does anyone want to host/cohost?
>
> I could cohost.

If hosting is just generally making announcements, making sure folks
sign in, and the such, I have no problem hosting.

--Patrick