[wplug-board] draft minutes from November 2 (fwd)

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Wed Nov 9 19:00:07 EST 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:04:32 -0500
From: Mark Dalrymple <markd at borkware.com>
To: Beth Lynn <bethlynn at wplug.org>
Subject: draft minutes from November 2

Here they be.

Wheee,
++md

Minutes for WPLUG Board Meeting
Wednesday November 2, 2005, 9:00 am
Virtual meeting via IRC (IRC Chat log appended)

CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 9:55 AM

Board members present at the meeting were:
   * Beth Lynn Eicher (bethlynn), Chair
   * Mark Dalrymple (markd2), Secretary

Also in attendance:
   * no others

1. Reading and Approval of Minutes from 10/17/05
The minutes for October 26, 2005 were adopted.

Next meeting: not scheduled due to new board taking over

2. Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees

The chair attempted to contact some folks from WPLUG's history, but
was only able to track down RickS, who is returning to the area in the next
year or two.

The chair has also attempted to contact Eli heady who has applied
for membership but had not yet paid dues, and had received no response
by the deadline.

The chair reports that the Perl Mongers extend their thanks to WPLUG
for their October 29th event.  They would like to work with WPLUG in
the future.

3. Reports of Special Committees

The program committee reports that room reservations continue to
be a struggle.  Events on campus have changed dates for the november
installfest.  Parking will be tight around the west part of the campus
start in 2006 as new construction occurs on campus.

4. Special Orders.

The chair moved that Section 3.2 of the Proviso be amended by striking
out 'November 1' and inserting 'November 2', extending the deadline for
membership approval by one day.  The motion carried.

5. Unfinished Business and General Orders

There was none.

6. New Business
       A. Approval of newly registered members

Micheal Semcheski, Micheal Skowvron, and Dirk Kalp have been approved
for wplug membership.

Eli Heady has not been approved for membership, due to non-payment of
dues.

The meeting adjourned at 11:03 am

IRC Chat log:

9:49*** You have joined the channel
9:54* bethlynn identifies as Beth Lynn Eicher
9:55* markd2 identifies as Mark Dalrymple
9:55<bethlynn> the time is 9:55
9:55* bethlynn calls the meeting to order
9:56<bethlynn> first on the agenda
9:56<bethlynn> 1. Reading and Approval of Minutes from 10/26/05
9:56* markd2 begins the reading
9:56<bethlynn> Mark Dalrymple: can you please read the minutes
9:56<markd2> Wednesday October 26, 2005, 9:00 AM
9:56<markd2> Virtual meeting via IRC (IRC Chat log appended)
9:56<markd2> CALL TO ORDER
9:56<markd2> The meeting was called to order at 9:30 AM
9:56<bethlynn> thank you
9:56<markd2> Board members present at the meeting were:
9:56<markd2>   * Beth Lynn Eicher (bethlynn), Chair
9:56<markd2>   * Mark Dalrymple (markd2), Secretary
9:56<markd2> Also in attendance:
9:56<markd2>   * no others
9:56<markd2> 1. Reading and Approval of Minutes from 10/17/05
9:56<markd2> The minutes for October 17, 2005 were adopted.
9:56<markd2> Next meeting: a virtual meeting, November 2, 2005
9:56<markd2> 2. Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees
9:56<markd2> The Chair indicated that Sean Parsons volunteered to be an
election
9:56<markd2> teller for the November 5 meeting.  Should an additional election
9:56<markd2> teller beyond Vance K. and Sean P., Evelyn Chao would be a
possible
9:56<markd2> third.
9:56<markd2> There was a discussion on quorum for November 5, in light of the
9:56<markd2> new members being added.  The current quorum is 13.  In order to
9:56<markd2> require a quorum of 14, we would need 81 members.
9:56<markd2> 3. Reports of Special Committees
9:56<markd2> There were none.
9:56<markd2> 4. Special Orders.
9:56<markd2> There were none
9:56<markd2> 5. Unfinished Business and General Orders
9:56<markd2> There was none.
9:56<markd2> 6. New Business
9:56<markd2>       A. Approval of newly registered members
9:56<markd2> Genc Doko, Sean Parsons, Carlos Suarez, and Devin Lee Drew were
9:56<markd2> accepted as members.
9:56<markd2> Sean Parsons was approved as election teller.
9:56<markd2> The meeting adjourned at 10:17 am
9:56* markd2 ends the reading
9:58<bethlynn> As a note, as per my email discussions with Vance K, that Mike
Hansell might also be an election teller...
9:58<bethlynn> and that officially under Roberts Rules ...
9:59<bethlynn> that those present at the meeting make motions to nominate
election tellers ...
9:59<bethlynn> yet it is a good thing that we have indivuals in mind that the
current board finds trustworthy ...
9:59<bethlynn> and that we have multiple people to pick from ...
10:00<bethlynn> since the min. is 2 election tellers ...
10:00<bethlynn> but we could use more to count all of the ballots ...
10:00<bethlynn> since we have a potential of 50+ ballots.
10:00<bethlynn> end of note
10:00* markd2 notes the note
10:01<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher approves of the minutes as read
10:01* markd2 approves the minutes as read
10:02<bethlynn> next on the agenda
10:02<bethlynn> 2. Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees
10:02<bethlynn> does markd2 have anything to report?
10:03<markd2> I'd just like to say, that this being my last meeting as a board
member of wplug...
10:03<markd2> to say how much I appreciate all of the work you've put into the
organization...
10:03<markd2> wplug is very lucky to have you involved in its operations.
10:03<markd2> end
10:04<bethlynn> as board chair I appriecate your service as a board member and
I would like to thank you in advance
10:05<bethlynn> for your continued volunteer work for this organization
10:05<bethlynn> the website is in great order
10:05<bethlynn> and the work that you put into the membership database is
excellent
10:06<bethlynn> WPLUG can not thank you enough
10:06<markd2> :-)
10:06<bethlynn> and everyone is looking forward to your talk in December
10:07<bethlynn> it's all been good stuff so thank you !!!!!
10:07<bethlynn> does markd have anything else to report?
10:07<markd2> I do not
10:07<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher starts her first repot ...
10:08<bethlynn> I contacted some folks that I had not heard from in a while but
have mentioned that they enjoy WPLUG fully in the past
10:08<bethlynn> ie Alex and Jenn Landefield ...
10:08<bethlynn> Rick Smith ...
10:08<bethlynn> Zach Paine, Evan Dibase ...
10:08<bethlynn> and others
10:09<bethlynn> the only one I heard back from is Rich Smith
10:09<bethlynn> ...
10:10<bethlynn> He is currently living in San Fransico with his wife Barbara.
He and misses WPLUG and stated that he expect to return to Pittsburg in 2007.
10:10<bethlynn> end of first report ...
10:10<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher starts her second report ...
10:11<bethlynn> Micheal Semcheski's dues have been covered. He is to be
considered a wplug member effective immediately.
10:11<bethlynn> end of 2nd report ...
10:12<bethlynn>  Beth Lynn Eicher starts her third repot ...
10:12<bethlynn> someone by the name of Eli Heady had applied for membership ...
10:12<bethlynn> however he has not yet paid dues ...
10:12<bethlynn> So yesterday I emailed him to make him aware of the November 1
deadline...
10:13<bethlynn> and there has been no response...
10:13<bethlynn> It's too bad since I would have been open to making
arrangements with him for dues payment...
10:13<bethlynn> but I didn't get a response.
10:13<bethlynn> end of 3rd report
10:13<bethlynn> ..
10:13<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher starts her 4th report...
10:14<bethlynn> The Pittsburgh Perl Mongers extend their thanks to WPLUG for
helping secure a room for their October 29 event and advertising this event.
10:14<bethlynn> ...
10:15<bethlynn> They have been more active lately therefore the would like to
work with WPLUG to colliborate in the future...
10:16<bethlynn> possibly with a one day Perl workshop in 2006.
10:16<markd2> that would be nice
10:17<bethlynn> Since they are also interested in Open Source I told them that
it would make sense for us to work together in the future.
10:17<bethlynn> end of 4th report
10:17<bethlynn> ...
10:17<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher starts her 5th report...
10:17<bethlynn> During the Pittsburgh Perl Mongers October 29 meeting...
10:18<bethlynn> Dirk Kalp and Micheal Skowvron applied for wplug membership
10:18<bethlynn> ...
10:19<bethlynn> Dirk Kalp has been around WPLUG for about 2 years now but I had
not seen him in the past 6 months ...
10:20<bethlynn> you might remember him from the 2004 picnic as the guy who
brought corn and a volleyball net ...
10:20<markd2> yes
10:20<bethlynn> Micheal Skowvron has been around WPLUG for countless years,
possibly predating me...
10:21<bethlynn> he is known for being the local Silicon Graphics employee ...
10:22<bethlynn> both Dirk Kalp and Micheal Skowvron paid dues to me on October
29.
10:22<bethlynn> so I plan on moving to vote them in as members later on in this
meeting.
10:22<bethlynn> end of 5th report
10:22<bethlynn> ...
10:23<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher starts her 6th report...
10:23<bethlynn> recruiting people to do a lighting talk for the annual
membership meeting has been like herding cats ...
10:23<markd2> in grand wplug tradition :-)
10:24<bethlynn> so I think I'm going to have to nag specific people.
10:24<bethlynn> markd2: any ideas?
10:25<markd2> hmmm
10:25<markd2> who do you have so far?
10:25<bethlynn> I'm talking about WPLUG history
10:26<bethlynn> and Patrick Wagstrom is giving two talks
10:26<bethlynn> that's all
10:27<bethlynn> I've asked Duncan Hutty and James O'Kane but they could not
commit due to their uncertain availablity
10:27<markd2> Scott Kriebel has been doing some asterisk stuff
10:27<markd2> and along those lines, Ryan Brown has done stuff relating to that
10:27<bethlynn> yes but Scott Kriebel is crowd shy
10:28<markd2> that's a shame.  He's a smart guy with interesting things to say
10:28<bethlynn> rumor has it that Ryan Brown will be out of town
10:28<markd2> Vance will be there :-)  An OpenPitt solicitation, and/or a
description of his workflow
10:28<bethlynn> that's a great idea
10:29<markd2> dave ostroske could do a quick recap of his awk / sed / regexp
stuff
10:29<bethlynn> that would rule
10:30<bethlynn> I should ask Mark Sikora to rant for 5 minutes about why
Slackware rules
10:30<markd2> heh
10:30<markd2> He's recently done an EvanD through a bunch of distros.  Why he
came back to slackware would be interesting
10:30<bethlynn> and in the annnouncement... "Who's cuter, tux or the bsd demon"
== me baiting wmoran
10:30<markd2> heh
10:31<bethlynn> cool. Now I have some ideas to run with...\
10:32<bethlynn> end of 6th report.
10:32<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher has nothing else to report
10:33<bethlynn> if there are no more reports I will move to the next agenda
item ...
10:33<bethlynn> 2. Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees
10:33<bethlynn> doh
10:33<bethlynn> no
10:33<bethlynn> we are on item 3
10:33<bethlynn> 3. Reports of Special Committees
10:34<bethlynn> does markd2 have anything to report?
10:34<markd2> i do not
10:34<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher reports for the program commitee
10:34<bethlynn> room reservations continue to be a struggle
10:35<bethlynn> and the situation is even more difficult...
10:35<bethlynn> since we have one less School of Computer Science employee as a
member, Jonathan Billings...
10:36<bethlynn> due to an event sponsored by microsoft, we were unable to keep
the orginal date for the November installfest ...
10:37<bethlynn> which was November 12 so we moved the date to November 19
10:37<bethlynn> ...
10:37<bethlynn> as this was reported on wplug-plan ...
10:38<bethlynn> Due to a personal schedule conflict, I will be unable to
reserve a room for December 10
10:38<bethlynn> ...
10:38<bethlynn> So I pre-reserved December 3 and 17 ...
10:38<bethlynn> I hope to confirm those reservations in the next few business
days ...
10:39<bethlynn> markd2: are you still good to go on December 17 for your Obj C
tutorial?L
10:39<markd2> yes
10:39<bethlynn> excellent.
10:40<bethlynn> I hope that Vance will be able to present on Mandriva for Dec 3
since we had tentatively discussed him giving a talk of that nature in December
10:40<bethlynn> ...
10:41<bethlynn> In January I've been told that parking will be tight around
West campus ...
10:41<bethlynn> around Newell Simon and Wean Hall ...
10:42<bethlynn> in order to demolish The Old Student Center (formerly known as
the RTOC building) ...
10:42<bethlynn> in order to make land for the Bill Gates Building ...
10:43<bethlynn> I promise to monitor the situation for January
10:43<bethlynn> however we hope to continue to remain in NSH 1507 for January 7
and 14.
10:43<bethlynn> end of report
10:43<bethlynn> Beth Lynn Eicher has nothing else to report
10:44<bethlynn> if there are no more reports ...
10:44<bethlynn> next on the agenda is ...
10:44<bethlynn> 4. Special Orders
10:44<bethlynn> markd2: do you have anything to propose?
10:44<markd2> I do not
10:45* bethlynn has something to propose
10:46<bethlynn> "I move that Section 3.2 of the Proviso be amended by striking
out 'November 1' and inserting 'November 2
10:46<bethlynn> end of motion
10:46* markd2 seconds
10:46* bethlynn also approves
10:46<bethlynn> the motion carries
10:46* bethlynn has nothing else to propose
10:47<bethlynn> next on the agenda
10:47<bethlynn> 5. Unfinished Business and General Orders
10:47<bethlynn> I have nothing to propose, does markd2?
10:48<markd2> I do not
10:48<bethlynn> next on the agenda ...
10:48<bethlynn> 6. New Business
10:48<bethlynn> A. Approval of newly registered members
10:48<bethlynn> ...
10:49<bethlynn> Now that Micheal Semcheski is current in dues, I move that he
be considered a member of wplug effective immedately ...
10:50<bethlynn> bethlynn approves, does markd2?
10:50<markd2> yes
10:50<bethlynn> Micheal Skowvron and Dirk Kalp have applied for membership and
have paid dues
10:51<bethlynn> I move that both be considered wplug members effective
immedately
10:51<bethlynn> bethlynn approves, does markd2?
10:51<markd2> yes
10:52<bethlynn> Eli Heady applied for membership but did not pay dues. All
attempts to contact him have failed. ...
10:52<bethlynn> I do not recognize his name ...
10:52<bethlynn> therefore I move to not accept Eli Heady's application for
membership at this time
10:52<bethlynn> bethlynn approves, does markd2?
10:53<markd2> yes
10:53<bethlynn> there are no other application for membership up for
consideration
10:53<bethlynn> ...
10:54<bethlynn> markd2: does the list on www.wplug.org/vote reflect the
real-time contents of the membership database via openacs magic or does it have
to be done by hand?
10:55<markd2> it's driven from the database
10:55<markd2> based on "paid-up" flag
10:55<markd2> something for the future is to have a more accurate paid-up vs.
approved member state
10:55<markd2> but that won't happen before the elections
10:57<bethlynn> is this something that needs to be voted on? or is this a
matter of time management?
10:57<markd2> just time management
10:57<markd2> and not rocking the boat technology-wise before an Important
Election
10:57<bethlynn> I agree that this is the most prudent course of action
10:58<bethlynn> anyhow, I see that Dirk Kalp and Micheal Skowvron are now
listed since I've updated their paid-up status
11:00<bethlynn> since we don't have any lapsed dues issues, I don't think that
this is a issue that is going to effect the election
11:00* bethlynn has no other buisness
11:01<bethlynn> does markd2?
11:01<markd2> I do ot
11:01<markd2> I do Not
11:01<bethlynn> since we will have a new board the next time the board meets we
will not set a next board meeting
11:01* bethlynn is sad to see markd2 leave the board
11:02<bethlynn> but I understand that there are life changes ...
11:02<markd2> indeed
11:02<markd2> and it's a good slate
11:02<bethlynn> and I do look forward to attending your concerts in December
11:02<markd2> it'll be an exciting year
11:02<markd2> :-)
11:02<bethlynn> you've mailed in your ballot, right?
11:02<markd2> yes
11:02<bethlynn> excellent
11:03<bethlynn> unless there is no other business, I move to adjourn
11:03* markd2 seconds
11:03<bethlynn> meeting ends at 11:03am
11:03* markd2 stops logging