[wplug-board] proposed changes

Evan Samuel Dibiase esd at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 6 10:41:18 EST 2003

I'll again agree with Mark and note that I didn't know that all of these
things were going on, and that we should find More Diverse And Appropriate
Board Members, and I'll stop trying to paraphrase his email, etc.

That said, I also think we need to define a bit more of what a board
member is.

I like WPLUG. I like going to a lot of WPLUG events. That doesn't mean
that I feel particularly inclined to go to *every* install-fest, for
example; I've done enough Linux installations to last me a lifetime (and I
think most of you can attest to that) :-) I don't think that it's the
board's fault if I don't want to go to a GUM or an install-fest, or even
if I don't want to go to most of the GUMs or install-fests. It's mine. Not
every talk interests me. I like install-fests for just general geeking out
and hanging around, but that doesn't happen unless people are around with
whom I'd like to hang out and geek. No amount of me showing up to talks on
things I'm not interested in is going to make the talks more interesting
to me, but that doesn't mean that they're not good talks for WPLUG to
host.

To me, it's not unreasonable to have both people who attend every and all
meeting and folks who, well, don't, on the board. People have doubts about
the level of commitment of the leadership because some of that leadership
hasn't been showing up to many meetings recently? That sounds like a poor
reason to doubt, to me; I think Jeremy is quite committed to WPLUG, for
example, and he hasn't been to a meeting in quite a while.

As for structure, I think that it can be useful to talk and see what to do
next, but that, if this is what we want, we can get it other ways than
(again, to use my example) by having me sit, bored, through the next
24-hour install-fest just so nobody complains that I'd not hardcore
enough. If we want to meet to discuss structure, let's meet to discuss
structure.

It also sucks that Beth's getting burned out. If she wants a co-host at
every meeting, that's absolutely someone (or some set of ones) that we
should find. It doesn't need to be a board member, though, or at least an
existing one. Why not find someone who goes to every event and make *him*
the designated co-host? Hell, we could even bring him on to the board as
the *official* designated co-host!

In short, I think that a lot of the problems that Beth has brought up are
important, but more directly solved by means other than strict
attendance/RSVP policies for board members.

Evan