[wplug-board] The creation wplug-bsd

Evan Samuel Dibiase esd at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 6 10:24:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Jeremy Dinsel wrote:

> I don't think evand was questioning the correctness of doing this
> action. I think he was concerned with how I performed the action without
> voting or doing some sort of dance in front of the board.

You're right; I certainly wasn't questioning the correctness of the
action. We as a board agreed that WPLUG can and should support all forms
of free UNIX, if I recall correctly, and I think that wplug-bsd is a great
step in that direction, especially given the interest apparently expressed
in such a list.

> He may be right in some cases, but there really isn't anything formal
> saying that I should have done things differently. Ample time was
> provided for feedback on the wplug-plan list and I think I obtained a
> majority concensus on #irc in the presence of other board members.

I don't think that wplug-plan is the appropriate venue for making such
proposals. -plan is useful for getting feedback and coordinating events,
but creating a new mailing list that will significantly change WPLUG's
(public) mission seems to be something that might be best felt out on
-plan and then submitted to -board.

I wasn't on IRC when any of this discussion was going on, nor did I even
have a chance to *read* my -plan email in the day from when you posted
your proposal to when you announced the creation of the list, so I wasn't
aware that this discussion was even going on until I started seeing
messages flying around admin@ about the creation of some new list.

Is this a big procedural flap? Not really. Should I assign the same
urgency to -plan email as I do to that of -board? Perhaps. But this whole
process left me feeling very much out of the loop on a pretty important
WPLUG development, and I feel that, as a board member, having a precedent
of such things being routed through wplug-board rather than IRC and -plan
is a good thing.

Evan