[wplug-board] server distribution

Robert Dale rdale at wplug.org
Sun Apr 14 03:03:19 EDT 2002

Along with what Evan previously said on the subject...

I have to agree that the current system is in pretty bad shape
and something needs to be done about it.  These are my official
thoughts on the subject...

Debian is not a viable distribution for an organization, that requires
a stable system and features, so that it may provide new services for
its members.  The current system is cobbled together and unmaintainable.
Many binaries we use are not packaged and can not be traced to their origin.
The current system can not be rebuilt or duplicated easily.  Many of the
current packages are very old and/or obsolete.  Even the latest debian is
still too unstable to use.  In many respects, staying with Debian hinders
us from properly maintaining a solid server and continue to provide current
and new services for wplug.

However, there is hope: RedHat 7.2.

RedHat is very popular, stable, and up-to-date distribution.  Many people,
including myself, have extensive knowledge of RedHat.  RedHat has packages
for nearly everything.  Patches for bugfixes and features are released
often and very quickly.  RPMs are trivial to build (for me, atleast) and
can be taught easily.  There is a system in place that will automatically
and safely upgrade to latest packages.  The same system allows for a machine
to be restored or duplicated with ease.  I believe that RedHat, with its
ease of maintenance, current package set, and release "often and early"
attitude, is the distribution of choice for wplug.

I will let the pros and cons of each distribution speak for themselves.

--
Robert Dale

wplug member since 1998