[wplug-board] Voting System Update

Evan DiBiase evand at wplug.org
Sat Apr 13 06:45:21 EDT 2002

On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 11:29  PM, Jeremy Dinsel wrote:

> Woah .. we're moving to redhat? I strongly disagree with moving to
> redhat.

Okay, it's my fault for making this sound like a done deal, but Rob and
I did talk about moving away from Debian and I think it really makes
sense in our situation for a few reasons:

1. RedHat has an excellent ratio of fresh to stable, while Debian
generally does not. RedHat tends to release stable versions about every
six months, as opposed to Debian's considerably longer stable release
cycle. Testing sounds like it occasionally has some major issues that I
don't think we want to get in to, and unstable would be insane.

2. If Rob heads up the Server Committee, as the general consensus was at
the last board meeting, it would be nice to have penguin be running the
distribution he knows well. As far as I know, Rob has a far more
in-depth and useful knowledge of RedHat than of Debian, which, to me,
means that he'll be more capable at administering a RedHat machine than
a Debian one.

I'll think about this some more, but I have to go. My intention was not
to start a flamewar, so I apologize again for making this sound like it
was final.

-Evan