[wplug-announce] WPLUG meeting: Android Xposed

Justin Smith justin at adminix.net
Tue Sep 9 20:06:36 EDT 2014

WPLUG will have its September meeting this Saturday at the Wilkins School Community Center. For a change of pace, I will be talking about Android Xposed.

Android, the world's most popular smartphone operating system, is open source. Just as there are community-developed versions of Linux, there are many community-developed versions of Android available from online communities like XDA Developers[1]. Don't like the version of Android your phone came with? Install a different one!
Of course, if you don't know what you're doing, you could lose data or even render your phone inoperable. Yikes!
Android Xposed is a modification that lets you tweak your Android phone /without/ permanently modifying anything. You can mix and match Xposed "modules" to achieve different effects. If you don't want to use a module any more, you can deactivate it and your phone will be back to normal. It's safe, easy, and fun!
I'll be giving a technical overview of what Android Xposed is and demonstrating a few of my favorite modules, including:
     *  *XPrivacy:* Go way beyond Google's "permission" system for apps by selectively allowing or denying Android API calls.
     *  *RootCloak:* Fool Android apps into believing that your rooted phone is /not/ rooted!
     *  *GravityBox*: Get all the typical features of a community-developed version of Android in an easily deactivated module.
For complete information, please see the wiki page[2].

--
*Justin Smith*
GNU/Linux System Administrator

/"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."/

/-Calvin Coolidge/

--------
[1] https://www.xda-developers.org
[2] http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Meeting-20140913