[wplug-announce] Meeting minutes + new member service (DDNS)

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Wed May 22 09:26:15 EDT 2013

Good morning, everyone!

I’ve posted the minutes for last Saturday’s GUM[1] and yesterday evening’s meeting[2] of
the WPLUG Board of Directors.

Among other highlights, the WPLUG Board has accepted Vance Kochenderfer’s idea to run
our own DDNS (dynamic DNS) service for WPLUG members. Check out the board minutes
for complete details. Thanks, Vance!

Little by little, we’re adding new membership services to make joining WPLUG worthwhile.
We started off in March with an email alias service. Here’s an excerpt from Pat’s initial
announcement:

"We're pleased to announce the availability of vanity WPLUG.ORG e-mail
forwarding addresses for WPLUG members...You can choose what address you want to
have, and we can set your vanity e-mail forwarding address to forward to whatever other
e-mail address you choose.”

Just recently, I set up a private instance of Tiny Tiny RSS[3], a GPL-licensed news
aggregator comparable to Google Reader, on the WPLUG server and invited everyone,
member or not, to help test it.

(That offer still stands, by the way. We still have kinks to work out, so contact me if you’d
like an account.)

When Tiny Tiny RSS is ready, it will become an official member service.

And now, we’re going to host our own DDNS service. Wouldn’t it be great if you had a URL
to access your home computer? Forget about the hassle of setting up a domain name;
each of you will have access to a personalized URL at [name].member.wplug.org that you
can point to an IP address of your choice.

You could direct it to your home network and configure your router to forward certain ports
to a computer of your choice. It’s the perfect excuse to run your own mini-server! Ask me
for more details if you’re interested.

What does a $20 WPLUG membership get you? All of this plus anything else (within reason)
you can come up with. Be sure to let me or one of the other board members know if you’ve
got an idea for a new membership service.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

"Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done."
-Linus Torvalds

--------
[1] http://www.wplug.org/wiki/Meeting-20130518
[2] http://www.wplug.org/wiki/WPLUGBoard/Meeting-20130521