[wplug-announce] July GUM: Security, privacy, and anonymity

Justin Smith justin at js-wordsmith.com
Sat Jun 29 22:13:12 EDT 2013

Whether you’re disturbed by the NSA surveillance scandal or indifferent
because you suppose the government has no interest in you, it should
make you think about the security of your personal information. You
probably work with online banking, personal correspondence, and other
sensitive data that certain people just shouldn’t see.

What can you do to protect it? At WPLUG’s July general user meeting, we’ll
be exploring a few of those topics with a few new faces:

-Daniel, founder of the Pittsburgh Bitcoin Users Group[1], will be giving an
introductory presentation about Bitcoin, the cryptocurrency based on
open source software.

-Johnny, whom I met earlier today at a charitable event for Computereach,
will be giving a presentation about network security. How far do
“anonymity” services like Tor go in protecting your privacy? He’ll put them
to the test!

-We’ll probably hang out and talk about related topics afterward. I’ll bring a
few of my favorite privacy software with me; feel free to do the same if
you’ve got any!

The meeting will at 2:00 p.m. at Carnegie Library Brookline on Saturday,
July 13th, exactly two weeks from today. Members from other groups will be
there as well, so be sure to attend! This will probably be our biggest event
of the year to date.

--
*Justin S. Smith*
Vice chair/secretary, WPLUG Board of Directors

/"Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us
communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where
they allow only monopoly."/
-Richard Stallman

--------
[1] http://www.meetup.com/Pittsburgh-Bitcoin-Users/