[wplug-announce] GUM/Elections Saturday, November 22, 10am-12pm, Wilkins School Community Center

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon Nov 17 20:35:16 EST 2008

The Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group is holding a General
User Meeting on Saturday, November 22, 2008.  The location is the
Wilkins School Community Center in Swissvale, just off I-376.
Directions to this location can be found on the WPLUG wiki at
<http://www.wplug.org/w/index.php/Wilkins_School_Community_Center>.

At the last meeting, four individuals were elected to the Board of
Directors.  A second round of balloting will take place at this
meeting to fill the fifth and final seat.  Members with voting
rights may cast their ballots in person or by mail.  Mailed ballots
must be received before the meeting, and in-person ballots must be
received by the time the polls close in order to count.

While there are no formal nominees, the following members have
expressed interest in being elected as write-in candidates:
  * Brian Seklecki
  * Robert Turley
More details about the election can be found at
<http://www.wplug.org/w/index.php/Election-20081122>.

WPLUG members should make every effort to attend this meeting so
we have a quorum to validly conduct business and complete the
election.

This is our first meeting to take place at the Wilkins School, and
a volunteer will be on hand a half hour before the meeting starts
to show us around.  Please join us if you'd like to get familiar
with the place!

The schedule for the day's activities is:
   9:30 AM - Building walkthrough
  10:00 AM - Business Meeting / Election starts
  10:05 AM - (approx.) Polls close / Planning session starts
  12:00 PM - Election results announced / All done!

Topic: "WPLUG: Future Directions"

Rather than a technical presentation, we will be taking the
opportunity that this move has presented us to examine what WPLUG
does well, what it does poorly, and what changes might be needed
for us to fulfill our mission of being an effective regional source
of education and advocacy for Linux and other Free and Open Source
Software.

What user communities (e.g., small business, nonprofits, artists,
senior citizens, educational institutions) should we be trying to
reach?  How can we recruit speakers on the topics that will attract
those people?  Can we effectively use local media to get our
message heard?  Where do *you* want to see WPLUG go in the next
five years?

The public is welcome, and no RSVP is necessary.  The home page for
this meeting is <http://www.wplug.org/w/index.php/Meeting-20081122>.
If you are able to help with setup, cleanup, or other duties, please
sign up in the "Meeting Staff" section.  Thanks!